Linksys WLAN Monitor ver 1.2

Has anyone experienced the following problem, and if so, how can it be corrected?

Linksys WLAN Monitor runs correcly in my systray. When I double-click the icon, it opens the monitor box, but the bottom 1/4 of it is cutoff. It isn't that it is too low on the screen, it simply isn't there. I have tried adjusting my screen resolution, but this does not make a difference. The box is just larger or smaller, but the bottom is still cut off.

This is a problem because I can't see some of the buttons like "refresh" and "connect".

It seems that if I point my internet browser at my router and change a setting so that my network adapter can't see it, then the Monitor box displays correctly. Is this some odd feature, or is it a bug?

Any help that you can provide is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Zeke

Reply to
zeke
Loading thread data ...

Don't have the solution but for what it's worth... once you are connected you do not need to have this utility running. Because you're using it I'm guessing that you are running Win98 or ME and the WLAN monitor is a resource hog. So - after you connect you can kill it and stay connected. Also ver 1.2 sounds old.

Reply to
DanR

"zeke" hath wroth:

Welcome to 20 questions.

1. What Linksys product are you using? Be sure to include the hardware version.
  2. What exact operating system are you using?
  3. Have you checked for updates? The WLAN monitor that comes with the driver varies in version number all over the place.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thank you for trying to help me.

1. I am using Wireless G PCI Adapter WMP54G, can't find a version number. Router is WRT54G ver. 2.0. This is all Linksys equipment.

1. Windows Me.

2. I have asked Linksys through their "Live Chat" service. They told me that if I try a newer WLAN Monitor, it may not recognize my hardware. Their advice is to remove the monitor software through Add/Remove Programs, then do a complete reinstall of the adapter hardware and software.
Reply to
zeke

Found the version number for the WMP54G, it is version 2.

Also, Windows Me is version 4.90.3000

Reply to
zeke

"zeke" hath wroth:

The lack of a version number usually means it's Version 1.0. However, in the case of the WMP54G, there doesn't seem to be a V1.0 listed, only v2.0. Please double check the big white label on the card as installing the wrong version software is a great way to make a mess.

See: |

formatting link
the V2.0 driver. According to the release history, the current driver version is 3.30.15. However, methinks the WLAN monitor program follows a different version number sequence. The driver package is listed as 1.4 so it's probably later than what you have.

Why the US site is pointing to Linksys Australia will be left as a mystery.

Well, that has no effect on the WLAN monitor program. However, this is a good time to update everything. See: |

formatting link
the various downloads for the WRT54G v2.0.

One of my favorite jokes is: Q. What the one question that support never seems able to answer? A. The version number of their currently shipping products.

No. What they said was that if you try a driver that came from a different hardware version number for the WMP54G, it will not work. However, it appears that there's only one version, so I guess you're safe. With the WRT54G, there are 6 hardware versions, so be careful.

I agree. I've had problems trying to upgrade Linksys PCI and USB drivers by over-scribbling with a later version. Best to uninstall the existing driver, reboot, and install the update with these cards.

The instructions say to install the drivers before you shove in the card. If you feel like following the instructions to the letter, uninstall the driver, shutdown, remove the card, reboot without the card, install the new driver, shutdown, install the card, reboot, pray, and curse the clueless lunatic that devised this proceedure.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

It seems to have worked. I didn't update the WRT54G drivers, but the monitor window seems to come up ok now. Thanks for your help Jeff, and thank you for the tip Dan! My biggest concern with changing anything with the router is that I do not have a PC connected directly to it, so I'm apprehensive to meddle with it too much.

Reply to
zeke

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.