1080p 720p - noob

Can Someone please explain the differences between all these??? (1080i,

1080p & 720p)
Reply to
Bellsouth Newsgroup
Loading thread data ...

todays HDTV broadcasts are either done in 1080i or 720P (for the most aprt) there really isn't any content (currently) that is in 1080P, so it's mroe for future proofing.

that beig said, the difference between 720P and 1080i is resolution. think of the computer monitor your currently using. if you go to the display properties on your computer (right click desktop go to properties if your on a windws computer) and go to the settings tab. see the slider that shows the different resolutions? the higher the resolution, the more pixels are on the screen, the mroe pixels, the more detail

720P is1280 X 720 lines, the P stand for progressive scan which meaning the lines are drawn starting at the top adn "progressing" to the bottom. 1080I has 1920 X 1080 lines, the I stands for interlaced, interlaced means the TV draws the lines in a staggared pattern, menaing it starts at the top and does every other line until it gets to the bottom, then ti goes to the top again and fills in the "odd" lines it skipped the first time. (for reference, "Regular" TV is 480I)

For the most part 720P is the standard for sports broadcasts and other "high motion" pictures because the progressive scanning helps with the motion.

1080I is better quality, but doesn't refresh fast enough for a sport broadcast, so it's used for more stand alone pictures. 1080P will be the best of both worlds, but right now most HDTV's dont' display 1080P and there isnt' much content to be had in 1080P right now.

hope this helps

Reply to
Dr Nick

Something simpler than the other post:

the number and the i/p mean different things.

Easiest is the I/P I is interlaced P is Progessive This refers to way the tv refreshes the picture on the screen. In Interlaced mode, the TV scans first line 1, then 3, then 5, etc. In Progressive scan mode, the TV scans first 1, then 2, then 3. Interlaced mode is the way most normal TVs work. Progressive scan is generally considered to be supervior, providing a crisper picture and less flicker.

The number refers to the number of lines of resolution your tv has. Remember in high school when you could use either regular or college ruled paper? the paper was the same size, but the higher resolution college ruled paper had more data on it once it was full, right? Same thing in tvs. Normal tvs are 240 lines (I think, someone will correct me, I'm sure) interlaced.

So,

720i = 720 individual lines on the TV screen, updated in two passes of 360 each 720p = 720 individual lines on the TV screen, updated in one pass of 720 1080i = 1,080 individual lines on the TV screen, updated in two passes of 540 each 1080P = 1,080 individual lines on the TV screen, updated in one pass of 1,080

Whats a line? Just like the paper is made up of indidual lines that contain data, so does your tv screen. The scan mode is the way the tv presents the lines on the paper.

I hope this helps (and i hope this is right!)

El Penguini

Reply to
El Penguini

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.