Linksys WAP54G - Only allowing one PC at a time - help!

I'm at my relatives for the Holiday's and they were not able to get their wireless setup. I've gone through the not-so-extensive setup CD that comes with the access point to setup a PC. What happens however, is once I am connected to the access point, it is acting as if I am directly connected to the cable modem.

My gateway is NOT 192.168.1.1 as I have set it up initially. The gateway I am seeing is the one I have if I connect the cable modem directly to the PC.

I've renamed the network as I found there was another neighbor with the same network name. I've tried enabling and not enabling WEP to see if that would make a difference but as I expected it did not.

I've reset the access point and am able to connect all the PCs in the house, but only one at a time...

Has anyone else seen this before? Any ideas on how I might fix this one?

Thanks in advance and happy holidays,

-Nate

Reply to
musicluvah1981
Loading thread data ...

I'm no expert, but it seems to me you need a router to provide DHCP

Reply to
RBM

Yout need a wireless router not a wireless access point. you can either go buy a wired router and plug the cable modem into the WAN port of it and the WAP into one of the LAN ports or just buy a wireless router altogether All the WAP is doing is bridging you to the cable modem which is supposed to only supply one IP address. A router will take the one address from the modem and using NAT (network address translation) allow many people to use the internet at the same time.

Adair

Reply to
Adair Witner

Reply to
musicluvah1981

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.