Newbie question: wireless with only one PC

your plan will work fine

Reply to
Airhead
Loading thread data ...

It should work fine. You'll probably need to hook up the laptop by patch cord to configure the router, then go wireless.

Reply to
Rôgêr

Apologies in advance from a newbie asking what is probably a very basic question.

Thinking about a D-Link package consisting of a DI-624 Xtreme G 2.4GHz wireless router and DWL-G650 Xtreme 2.4GHz wireless cardbus adapter.

The plan is to connect the router to my cable modem and then access the router from my one and only PC (laptop)using the cardbus adapter. The idea of course is to be able to access the Internet from anywhere within range of the router.

Will this work, or does at least one PC need to be permanently connected to the router via an ethernet cable?

Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
BozoZenobia

Reply to
BozoZenobia

glad to hear your answer Roger, as I am attempting to do the same thing.

Bozo, what are you planning to do about your printers? I personally don't print often, so I'll be manually plugging in my printer to my laptop only when needed.

later I plan to add a desktop, but still in a separate room from my router and modem, so I'll add a wireless card to it as well, and it has it's own printer.

If printing becomes an issue, I guess I'll add a wireless print server later.

jojo

Reply to
jojo

Thanks to you too. Good news.

Reply to
BozoZenobia

Like you, jojo, I will just plug my printer into the laptop when the need arises. Also like you, I will probably get a desktop in the not too distant future, but it will be in the same room as the router, so it will be connected by ethernet cable (and the printer will be permanently connected to the desktop, with print-sharing enabled). For now I'll have to just live with a rather aged notebook. Good luck.

Reply to
BozoZenobia

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.