Linksys Router issues

I've been having some trouble getting my linksys wireless router to get any connection with Optimum Online. I have the WRT54 model. So far, any time that I try to connect, even the main computer, to which the router is connected to doesn't get a connection. However, when I plug the Cable modem into the PC directly it's able to connect. I am also unable to login to my router. Any assistance would be appreciated, thanks.

Reply to
Grimscythe
Loading thread data ...

Thats the first problem to sort out. Try resetting it to the factory defaults and then following the instructions EXACTLY. If that doesn't work you may have a problem with the firewall on your PC blocking access. While you are physically disconnected from the web try turning your firewall off and have another go at talking to the router. If that doesn't work try hooking it up to another PC.

Reply to
CWatters

Cable modem.

Cable modems are typically configured to connect to only one device. That would be your PC. Now you are plugging in a router, and the cable modem is not going to accept a connection from it.

That would be different, and unexpected. Is this a new router, still at factory defaults?

Same thread in this group over the last few days, under the subject "Netgear WGR614 v6 manual set up help needed"

Unplug the cable modem and router power for about 20 minutes. Plug in the cable modem, wait for it to come up fully, to an online indication. Plug in the router, wait for it to come up.

If this is Windows, run "repair" on the network connection. This can be done from a right click on the network icon.

See if you can get to internet web pages.

If not, look at the "status" of the PC connection, maybe a right click again, and the support tab. That will show your address,

192.168.something, and the gateway address, 192.168.something.

Open an Internet Explorer window, and set the address to the gateway address, probably 192.168.1.1 You should get a login prompt from the Linksys. Leave the username blank, password is admin.

The status tab should show the address that the router has received from the cable modem, if that was successful. Maybe not.

You might need to "clone" the MAC address of the PC that is recognized by the cable modem. The MAC address appears in the local PC status-support page. That MAC address can be keyed in to the router under setup, "MAC Address Clone". That would make the cable modem accept the router connection as if it were your original PC connection.

Reply to
dold

You may need a firmware upgrade. Check out the forums on the Linksys website for more info.

Alan

Reply to
nobody

This one?

formatting link
it's a cable modem. Never mind...

Is that a WRT54G, WRT54GS, WRT54GC, WRT54GL, or any of perhaps a dozen others? The hardware version would also be nice to know.

1. Forget about wireless for now and plug an ethernet cable directly into the WRT54something. Can you access the web based setup in the WRT54Gsomething at http://192.168.1.1/
  2. Make sure that the ethernet cable from the cable modem goes to the "internet" port (WAN port) on the WRT54Gsomething.
  3. Go to the "status" page on the WRT54Gsomething. Do you have routeable IP addresses, 0.0.0.0 for everything, blank for everything, or garbage?
  4. If not, try to clone the MAC address. It's on "MAC address clone" page. If doesn't give you routeable IP's on the status page, unplug the power to both the modem and router, wait about 15 seconds, plug it in again, and try again. If it still doesn't work, disable the MAC address clone feature, cycle the power again, and call your ISP. It should work.
  5. After you get it working with an ethernet connection to the router, try wireless.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Eh? He's not even managed to get his PC to log in to the router yet - in which case the router probably isn't set up correctly yet. A firmware update would be impossible and probably un-necessary at this stage.

Reply to
CWatters

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.