Article on Unsecured Networks

This guy seems to think it is OK to "poach" your neighbor's signal.

formatting link
The Right Analogy for Wireless Signal Spill ARTICLE DATE: 08.01.05 By John C. Dvorak

We're starting to see more and more articles in local newspapers with various slants on the fact that people are routinely poaching the spillover signals coming from unprotected Wi-Fi networks. Some researchers indicate that as many as two-thirds of Wi-Fi signals in the U.S. are not secured by WEP or any sort of encryption or tunneling.

Since it doesn't really take much to secure a network, you can assume that people do not mind you taking their Wi-Fi signals to do your e-mail. What people probably would not appreciate would be you loading up on p*rn or making terrorist threats on their dime with their IP address. What to do?

First of all, if you want to share your signal, you are probably not allowed to do so by your ISP agreement. But let's say you want to anyway. What is needed is a system to do it properly, such as a splash screen intercept and log-on of guest users, so you can at least have some record of who is using the connection. This would also allow you to do some monitoring of activity, in case the FBI comes knocking.

But let's face it, most people do not know that their signal is being poached, and probably don't care. So why should so many people be freaked out about it? With nearly 15 million Wi-Fi networks in the U.S. and perhaps 10 million of them unsecured, how many nefarious acts are being committed by poachers? Most people using these networks are doing it for an e-mail hit or a Web site visit and not much more. Often poachers simply use a neighbor's connection, and latching onto the signal is just a way to save money. I know at least two people doing this.

The problem I have with this activity is with the way it is described?as signal theft. I prefer to call it poaching. There is really nothing being stolen. The other user is paying a flat fee, and the worst that can happen is that his or her bandwidth takes a small hit for an inconsequential moment.

"It's like leaving the house unlocked," I'm told. "Just because there is no lock on the door doesn't mean you can walk in and take things." This is one of the dopey analogies you have to listen to. The analogy is bad. Walking into an unlocked home is not the same as hooking onto someone's Wi-Fi signal that is being broadcast all over the neighborhood. For one thing, no trespassing is being committed. The signal is being given to you. It's more like the unlocked house having a sign on the door saying "Welcome! Please enter!"? Continue reading...

Let's drop the house analogy and find something better and more accurate. Here is what Wi-Fi spillage is like. Someone has a house and a big lawn and a sprinkler system that is watering the lawn and spraying the water into the street. You drive into the water spraying into the street and use it to wash your car. Are you stealing the water? It's not your water. Someone else paid for it and you are using it. Just like the Wi-Fi signal.

One might argue that this isn't the same, since the bandwidth is reduced when you poach a Wi-Fi signal. Okay, then let's take the analogy and say that the water is not going into the street and down the sewer. The sprinkler is spraying only a little bit past the lawn, onto the sidewalk and the thin strip of lawn between the sidewalk and the curb. The sidewalk is public property, and when you walk on the sidewalk you get wet and keep that water from going to the grassy curb area. Is this stealing the guy's water?

Maybe readers can come up with better and more apt analogies than this, but this comes close. If you are being soaked by a hose, are you stealing water? You didn't ask to be soaked. You didn't go turn on the water yourself. You didn't run onto the lawn. How is the sprinkler situation different from someone blasting 802.11 signals all over town?

The person who owns the signal has to be the responsible party. Grabbing a nearby signal because it is being beamed into your house or car is hardly the same as going into an unlocked residence and stealing the silverware. And it's not hacking if the signal is not protected. In fact, if I'm getting unprotected signals on my property from people nearby, they're the ones who are trespassing! What if I do not want these signals interfering with what I want to do?

The way I see it, if someone is shoving a signal down my throat like that, I have every right to use it any way I want to as long, as I'm not doing anything illegal. It's crazy to think that my using that intrusive signal is illegal.

Discuss this article in the forums.

Go off-topic with John C. Dvorak here.

More John C. Dvorak: Copyright (c) 2005 Ziff Davis Media Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Reply to
Agent777
Loading thread data ...

I didn't read past that last line. Dvorak has always been somewhat of a dufus. I guess he writes a good story, because he's been making a living at it for a long time now. But he has

*never* been able to understand technical details, or the the legal aspects for that matter.
Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

You should have read it if just for chuckles. You missed these tidbits:

Here is what Wi-Fi spillage is like. Someone has a house and a big lawn and a sprinkler system that is watering the lawn and spraying the water into the street. You drive into the water spraying into the street and use it to wash your car. Are you stealing the water? It's not your water. Someone else paid for it and you are using it. Just like the Wi-Fi signal.

And it's not hacking if the signal is not protected. In fact, if I'm getting unprotected signals on my property from people nearby, they're the ones who are trespassing!

Reply to
Agent777

An article detailing the issues as it relates to " poaching" Satellite TV.

formatting link

Agent777 wrote:

Reply to
frankdowling1

Sounds like a classic Dvorak article, eh?

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

I wonder how many of these unsecured home networks are the result of a failed attempt to set up WEP or WPA encryption and running into insurmountable problems. I have had this kind of problem in trying to set up a Linksys WAG54G ADSL Gateway, connecting my desktop and two other computers through its router to my phone line DSL service.

This setup works very well until I try to set up some form of encryption, then it hangs and the two wireless computers are unable to hold the connection. With encryption activated, they can establish the connection after a reboot, and will work fine until they are idled for a while and go into sleep mode. When they come out of sleep mode the connection has been dropped and can not be re-established, except by re-booting, or keying in the pass phrase.

My desktop computer, which is hard wired (Linksys EtherFast

10/100 LAN Card LNE100TX ver. 5.1) to the WAG54G ADSL Gateway works flawlessly, 24/7. The connection is fast and always ready.

My laptop (Linksys WPC11 Wireless B Notebook Adapter) and my wife's kitchen computer (Linksys WMP54G v4 Wireless G PCI adapter) work fine if I do not set up any encryption protection. But, I can not get either of them to stay on-line if I activate any form of encryption. They work fine until they are allowed to go into sleep mode. Then, when they are brought out of sleep mode the connection will be down. They will show that they are connected to the Gateway with a very good signal strength, but the internet can not be found.

All computers in this network are running Windows XP with the latest upgrades. They have more than ample memory and free disk space.

Reply to
Gordon

So lets say that the homeowner has a VoIP phone or two and is mid call when some guy decides to jump on his wireless and upload a 5MB email at full whack upstream.

Guess what might happen to the quality of the phone call and then tell me that nobody is affected by this action.

Yet another analogy that misses the point.

Reply to
David Taylor

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.