Linksys ADSL Modem & WRT54 Interop

Hi,

I have a PC connected to the internet quite happily through my Linksys ADSL Modem (AM200). I would like to add another PC to mine and share this connection. To link the 2 PC's together, I have a WRT54 wireless router.

I've tried just about every configuration I can think of, using all of XP's wizards to try to get them all to play nicely together, but the new PC just will not connect to the internet.

I'm assuming that I'll need to change the IP address of one of the Linksys boxes as they are both set to the default 192.168.1.1 at present?

Any other tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

Reply to
juglugs
Loading thread data ...

You do not need two routers. Since the AM200 and the WRT54 are both routers, I suggest using only the switch portion of the WRT54, letting the AM200 handle packet routing. You will need to change the WRT's IPA to not conflict with the AM200's default of 192.168.1.1, and you will need to disable the WRT's DHCP server. The easiest way to physically connect your LAN is to plug your PCs into the WRT54's wired LAN ports and to also connect your AM200 to another of the WRT54's wired LAN ports; you can simply remove the AM200-WRT54 cable temporarily when you must use the WRT54's Setup screens.

For such a small LAN, it may be easier to assign static IPAs to each of your PCs; maybe 192.168.1.2 to the first PC and 192.168.1.3 to the other. To set a static IPA under XP, click on Start -> Settings -> ControlPanel ->

NetworkConnections -> LocalAreaConnection -> Properties -> TCP/IP ->

Properties, then fill in the IPA {some of those clicks are double-clicks}.

When you run the Network Connection "wizard", make sure you tell it that you get to the 'net via a Residential Gateway; that's M$speak for a router. {Calling these Q&A-style configuration utilities "wizards" makes me think that M$'s marketing folks are easily dazzled. :-P}

Reply to
Bob Willard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.