why do I have to keep rebooting

I have a Linksys router and periodically have to reboot it. I have had other setups where this was not an issue. Is this a notorious problem that anyone is aware of? TIA

Reply to
puddiecat
Loading thread data ...

Maybe. The Linksys BEFW11S4v4 is known to hang or act weird erratically. I suffered with one for a while. Many other makes and models (not just Linksys) will hang when running P2P file sharing software (BitTorrent, etc). I've also seen routers hang when running streaming video for extended periods. However, my favorite was when I planted my DSL modem and router next to my desk lap power supply transformer, and both would sometime hang when I turned the lamp on and off. Lots of ways to make things hang.

As for why you have to keep rebooting? It's punishment for not supplying the model number and hardware version of the Linksys router with which you're having problems.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

AC power line glitches are pretty common causes. My old BEFW11S4 did seem to be more sensitive to power line problems than most of my PCs; my WRT54G is, I think, better than the BEFW11S4 was.

Reply to
Bob Willard

On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 06:48:32 -0500, Bob Willard wrote in :

Really? Or a guess? Did the problem go away with a good UPS? Might it have been something else? My own experience is that power glitches (short of obvious interruptions or brownouts) are rarely a problem. If there is a power problem, it's usually a defective power brick, a problem easily solved.

Reply to
John Navas

Bob Willard hath wroth:

A few comments... There's a big difference between the BEFW11S4 v2 and v4. The v2 is stable while the v4 is flakey. I also suspected AC line glitches. So, I ran my v4 unit off a 6V gel cell battery and do it myself battery charger. That didn't help as it still hung erratically. If you search this newsgroup for my rants on the BEFW11S4, you'll find the history, tests, and final disposition. (I'm saving it for a burnt offering to the radio gods in case divine intervention is required for some future repair job).

Also, both the BEFW11S4v4 and the WRT54G/GS series can run on anything between about 4VDC and 18VDC. Both models have internal switching regulators with a fairly wide input voltage range. See photo at:

for my BEFW11S4v4 running just fine on 3.5VDC.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Observations based on sitting in my "lab" when the lights flickered. I have one old PC that is *very* sensitive, and frequently hangs when the lights flicker. And, a few times (maybe twice per year) when that old (canary) PC hung, the BEFW11S4 also needed to be reset, but the other PCs in the lab kept on chirping. My WRT54G has been rock-solid for two years.

Reply to
Bob Willard

My BEFW11S4 is a v1. Purchased in Aug'01, and replaced in Mar'05 (with a WRT54G) when the BEFW11S4's radio croaked. The rest of the BEFW11S4 still works, but I've gotten addicted to WiFi.

Reply to
Bob Willard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.