Cisco Pix 501 and Linksys router

I have a Linksys router connected to a cable modem.

I just got a cisco pix 501 off of ebay and I want to put it behind the Linksys router, then all systems behind the pix.

Can I configure int0 with a private address?

So if I give the internal network behind the PIX 192.168.3.1 then the outsidie int0 192.168.2.1

Then my linksys router 192.168.1.1

Then create a static route between the PIX and the Linksys.

Will this work. I was told that I could not configure the outside interface with a private address.

Thanks

Reply to
chappobluff
Loading thread data ...

Yes, you can put any address on the outside interface. I have a similar setup working with several customers.

Regards,

Martin

Reply to
Martin Kayes

I can confirm that this can be done as I am currently doing it myself (however I am using a Draytek instead of a Linksys).

At present from the PIX I can ping outside to the Internet but PC's from behind the PIX (although they have a correct configured IP address) can only ping to the inside interface of the PIX but cannot go out!

I am wondering whether this is due to the fact that there is NAT happening on the Draytek but not sure what else to do, if anyone can give any tips that would be great!

J

Reply to
Ronin

It depends how your NAT is setup. If the Draytek router is doing a 1:1 NAT to the outside interface address of the PIX, then the PIX will need a global nat setting up to translate the PC's to it's own outside interface address.

If the Draytek is doing a many:1 PAT translation and is using the PC's subnet as the source then the PIX will need a nat 0 statement for the PC subnet to be allowed to reach the Draytek with their original IP's intact.

If that isn't too clear then could you confirm which types of NAT & relevant addresses you are using.

Regards,

Martin

Reply to
Martin Kayes

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.