Limited or no connectivity

HELLO ALL,

I HAVE A LINKSYS WIRELESS ROUTER MODEL WRT150N AND A LINKSYS WIRELESS NIC MODEL WUSB54GR. THE ROUTER IS IN THE BASEMENT AND THE NIC IS ON THE SECOND FLOOR. WHEN I TRY CONNECTING TO THE NETWORK I GET THE MESSAGE \\" LIMITED OR NO CONNECTIVITY \\" ALTHOUGH IT TELLS ME THAT THE SIGNAL STRENGTH IS EXCELLENT. I AM USING WEP ENCRYPTION. HERE IS WHAT I HAVE DONE :

I WENT INTO THE ROUTER CONFIGURATION :

1. MADE SURE THE MAC ADDRESS OF THE NIC IS ADDED TO THE \" ALLOW LIST\"
  2. ON THE COMPUTER TO WHICH THE NIC IS CONNECTED ENTERED THE NETWORK SSID AND THE NETWORK KEY.

DOES ANYONE HAVE AN IDEA ABOUT WHAT IS GOING ON ?

THANKS

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
TechInfo0999
Loading thread data ...

TechInfo0999 hath wroth:

Don't use WEP encryption. It has lousy security. It also has a problem converting from the ASCII encryption key, to the Hex equivalent. If you insist on using WEP, use the Hex key, not the ASCII key. However, I suggest you WPA or WPA2 which is far more security than WEP.

How about turning off MAC filtering or whatever else you have turned on that pretends to be some kind of security feature? Try to make it work in the default configuration before applying the acronyms.

Nope. I'm just making a guess(tm).

You might also make sure your firmware and drivers are up to date. Check the Linksys web pile for updates. Also, the caps lock key on your keyboard appears to be stuck. You might want to get it fixed.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

"TechInfo0999" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@no-mx.wirelessforums.org...

even though it shows a strong sig, have you tried with all equipment in the same room.........think I would start there.

Reply to
Yes Baby

try disable the wep encryption, re-apply mac filtering with static ip, let's say u hv 3 pc connected to your router, put their mac addresses to allow with individual static ip.. 192.168.1.110 for PC A,

192.168.1.111 for PC B and so on... check ur router's ip settings, dhcp/lan settings, nat, firewall etc..
Reply to
macosx

Limited or no connectivity usually means that there is a connection to the AP, but not to the internet. If that is indeed the case and you're getting an IP address that is inline with your configuration, then check your firewall settings. That is the culprit much of the time. Also, something as simple as rebooting the cable modem, the AP and your connected PC(s), in that order, can fix such a problem. Now, if you're not getting a correct IP address and the IP address you're getting appears something like

169.254.x.x, then your problem is, more than likely, a mismatch is encryption keys. I would highly recommend that you follow the advice of Mr. Liebermann. He is a wealth of knowledge and is much appreciated by those of us who have learned from him. As for MAC filtering, IMHO, it is unnecessary if you're using WPA, WPA-PSK, or WPA2 with a strong nonsense passphrase. Some of the people who peruse this newsgroup recommend the use of dice words. They, too, are great. Anyway, I hope this helps you. Take care.
Reply to
Doug Jamal

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.