linksys wireless

I recently purchased a WRT54G wireless router. I installed it when I had Win XP. It worked great, excellent signal strength. When I switched to Vista, my connectivity dropped to Fair and sometimes to Limited. There are no obstructions. I changed nothing except the OS. The linksys tech support site was so busy they shut it down, as they say, to serve us better! My computer is an Acer laptop, Aspire 5050. Any suggestions on how to boost signal strength? Is it something to do with Vista Settings? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
robdot
Loading thread data ...

robdot hath wroth:

Lovely. Could you supply the missing 4 numbers after the Acer Aspire

5050-xxxx? I think (not sure), that the 5050-xxxx uses Acer Invilink cards, which I think (not sure) are Atheros AR5005G based. Higher end models use a Intel PRO Wireless 3945ABG. The most likely culprit is the wireless driver for one of these devices. Which one is determined by your exact model number.

If it's an Intel 3945ABG, you might want to try the latest Intel drivers instead of those supplied by Acer.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

robdot hath wroth:

I just blundered across this item:

It seems that in Vista, MS has tweaked the power save settings in their release to mfg beta. Presumably, this was fixed in the final release, but there's no guarantee. Please check the settings.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.