Laptop can detect wireless but cannot connect

I currently have a laptop and a computer running XP. My router is a westell VersaLink and it is an unsecure network. The internet provider is Verizon. The desktop internet works fine. My laptop on the other hand can detect the wireless network but when I click to connect it trys to but cannot. It works with other wireless networks and also if directly connected to the router with a cable. It periodically can connect and works fine but other times it cannot without any percieved changes to either computer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
GoldenPhi
Loading thread data ...

Explain this. Do you mean you have ALL wireless security turned off on the router, or something else? John Jones, Detroit

Reply to
John Jones

thread:

formatting link
Are you using the XP wireless connection software, or the software that came with the laptop (wireless nic)? What, if any, error message are you getting when you try and connect?

Reply to
manderso

thread:

formatting link
You'll also want to update the firmware of the router/modem and the driver of your wireless nic.

Reply to
manderso

there could be so many issues here ....

"laptop + computer" ? - you mean a laptop computer + desktop computer ?

is the desktop wired or wireless ? does the laptop "detect" the SSID of the wireless network... ok

if you look at the TCP/IP settings of the wireless connection, what is the IP address..... are you using DHCP ?

any security features "enabled" on the wireless router or laptop wireless settings ?

Reply to
P.Schuman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.