Conjested Network - Need to push through

I live in downtown Dallas, in a building with dozens of 802.11g networks, and surrounded by apartment complexes that have dozens and dozens more.

• WRT54G v3.1 running WRT-DD
  • I have the high-gain ANT as well
  • Been trying to switch channels, from 1-11 (and even the Japan channels 12-14) in attempts.

I want to go 802.11n and move everything to 5Ghz (been eyeing that new dual-radio wrt600n linksys has), but just can't afford it at the moment with xmas coming.

At times, the network screams. testmy.net shows speeds as I should get wired, but over wireless. But this is only at like 4am, standing on my head, all lights off, and freezing with no heat, etc etc. Anytime during the day, I can flip a coin and the odds are better with that then when I'd get a fast/stable connection.

So tonight, I'm fed up with it. Started digging around my DD-WRT setup.

Here's what I'm playing with tonight. Any help in helping my wifi network break through the surrounding interface would much be appreciated.

- Xmit Power: Trying not to go over 70mW, monitoring the SNR for optimum setting.

- Beacon Interval: Trying to get it as low as possible, so the theory goes that more beacon pings means "hey, look at me!" to break through.

- WMM or QoS Support: Trying to get this working with the default settings, but it's not impressing me much.

Any tips for tweaking the network more would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!

-E

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
eduncan911
Loading thread data ...

directional antenna or reflectors for both the router and the PC may reduce the problem - or move the kit inside, so the walls shield you from other WLAN sources.

personally i think wireless is like 3G - ok it works, and when there is nothing else you can make it work, but no way should it be the preferred way to handle connectivity.

if you want reliability, then trash the wireless and use Cat5.

or bite the cost bullet and move to 802.11a (and hope that every one else isnt doing the same)

Reply to
stephen

Welcome to unlicensed shared spectrum. Your only choices are to limit your coverage area, use different channels or switch to a different technology altogether. I'd bite the bullet and get the different router. But get it from somewhere local that allows returns. Try it and see if it's any "less worse".

QoS is generally designed to manage the traffic through the router itself, not the airwaves. As in, allow wired VOIP telephone traffic to break through any other traffic on THAT router.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.