Internet Browsing Problem

I have a laptop computer with a Linksys wireless card (802.11b) that works fine on my network at home (Linksys Router) and on my childrens's networks. However, I cannot get it to connect to the web at our community clubhouse. I have the correct SSID and I can connect to the gateway, but I cannot browse the web. The gateway symbol seems to have an "X" showing that it is not connected to the web. The symbol is very small, so I am not absolutely sure about that.

I can connect to the the host that I use for my website using WS_FTP and I can ping the site using their IP address. I can also send instant messages. I cannot ping a domain name, ie, yahoo.com, google.com

The clubhouse router is a D-Link and all of the setting seem to be the defaults. There is at least one computer that is connected to the network via wireless and it is capable of browsing the web.

What am I doing wrong?

Reply to
Norm
Loading thread data ...

Make sure you know what addressing scheme the clubhouse router has: is it DHCP? If so make sure you have your PC setup to get an address automatically. If it is a hard-set IP address, you have to put your PC on an address in their subnet. Make sure the clubhouse router is indeed on default settings with no security, MAC filtering, etc., and your PC is set up the same. If it's possible, see if you can browse into the clubhouse router settings and go over them with a fine tooth comb. You'll probably find what you're looking for that way. Also look into the one PC that CAN connect and see if there's something in its settings that can give you a clue as to what's preventing you.

Reply to
Bob Schmidt

Reply to
Alan White

There is a big difference between accessing the internet and having access to files. This account is only used for internet access. There is a separate account for administration. Sometimes it is good to know the facts before making rash statements. I also came here for assistance, as most replies provided If you are unable to contribute technical help, it is probably best not to reply.

Reply to
Norm

I had to set the TCP/IP DNS addresses. It now works fine. Thanks for you help.

Reply to
Norm

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.