How do I setup wireless broadband for Tablet PC?

Hi,

I'm Susan. I know nothing about it. Please help me setup my Toshiba XP Tablet PC go wireless broadband step by step. My Tablet PC has an integrated wireless network card. What's the cheapest wireless broadband service? What's all this about hotspots? Why do I have to go to a hotspot in order to get a wireless broadband connection? I need wireless broadband everywhere I go without having to go to a hotspot. Please help me set it up. If you can point me to a setup website, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Susan B. Avery

Reply to
sbavery2003
Loading thread data ...

A hotspot is a location where wireless broadband is available. The service at a given location is provided by a city, a store, or an airport, etc. I am not aware of any wireless broadband service available "everywhere." The closest you may get to what you want would probably be associated with a cell phone service. For example, Verizon sells a notebook card and Internet service so that you could have Internet access anywhere Verizon has service (which is almost everywhere in the U.S.). However, it is not likely broadband, although I have never used it. It may also be expensive compared to, say, DSL.

Reply to
Gordo

If you are looking for a "cellular" type of connection, then you need an new adaptor card. The new EV-DO (Evolution Data Optimized) wireless broadband isn't built into your laptop, yet. The charges for this type of access, are ludicrous. The tech is way too new. You use a newer PCMCIA card you can get free, with new service agreement.

formatting link
formatting link
$40 per month, 40MB download limit. $80 per month unlimited access.

2 Year agreement.

You have a built in 802.11b/g wireless LAN adaptor. This gets you WiFi (if you are close enough to a hot-spot), or your own home wireless network.

Reply to
Sept1967

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.