is this pc card OK for laptop wireless?

Newbie to wireless here.

I have an Intel Pro/Wireless 2011B LAN pc card that came with a laptop I just got. Supposedly it gives me wireless roaming capability in hooking up with hotspots.

Is this a good card for giving my laptop wireless capability in hooking up with hot spots while roaming? The reason I ask is that trying to research the card leads me to believe it's for commercial networking apps.

Reply to
rb
Loading thread data ...

Are you sure you mean roaming and keeping a seamless connection or just the ability to re-connect with a new connection to different hotspots as you get in range?

Reply to
DTC

That's an old 16 bit 802.11b card that's no longer manufactured. But, it will probably work just fine at any of the public hotspots. You could just carry the laptop in to a starbucks that has wireless service and open a browser. It should connect and give you a login page.

formatting link

Reply to
dold

}}} or just the ability to re-connect with a new connection to different hotspots as you get in range? {{{

Re-connecting with new hotspots when i'm around those is what was meant. Thanks.

Reply to
rb

On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 16:30:44 GMT, DTC wrote: : rb wrote: : > Newbie to wireless here. : > : > I have an Intel Pro/Wireless 2011B LAN pc card that came with a laptop I : > just got. Supposedly it gives me wireless roaming capability in hooking up : > with hotspots. : > : > Is this a good card for giving my laptop wireless capability in hooking up : > with hot spots while roaming? The reason I ask is that trying to research : > the card leads me to believe it's for commercial networking apps. : : Are you sure you mean roaming and keeping a seamless connection or just the : ability to re-connect with a new connection to different hotspots as you : get in range?

If it's like the newer Intel cards, it means that it will automatically switch to a stronger access point on the same SSID if one comes into range. I.e., I believe it's the first of your two stated possibilities, which appears to contradict the original poster's understanding as he expressed it in another follow-up. (Any card can be made to find another hotspot if you lose your connection, assuming you're indifferent to the SSID.) Of course, if there are RADIUS servers involved in this handoff, they've got to be willing to play ball. But public hotspots don't normally use RADIUS servers.

Be sure to visit the Intel site and download the latest driver (which is only about a month old), including the "PROset" supplicant. PROset should let you set the card's propensity to roam. Notice that this is something the Windows "WZC" supplicant does *not* let you do.

I assume we're talking Windows XP. Use anything older, and you're on your own.

Bob

Reply to
Robert Coe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.