Forcing A Login For Wireless Access

The simple version is that the network gateway is set up such that when you first connect any IP address resolves to the login screen. Once you've successfully logged in, addresses resolve to the real addresses.

Google for "hotspot" software. Chillispot is the OSS software that comes to mind. It's been installed with Sveasoft Alchemy on many WRT54Gs, but the installation instructions I've found so far are awfully vague :-)

Reply to
Derek Broughton
Loading thread data ...

Hello,

I am having a problem searching for what I want to know.

We've been to airports and other hotspots where when we try to access the Internet we are taken to a login screen which requires us to either pay for access or login to get Internet access. Would someone be able to direct to me an explanation of the networking involved in the process, and/or direct me to software (open source, if possible) that would allow me to set up such a network?

If you direct to me to the explanation of the process and some software that I may need to set up this kind of network, that would be enough, and I would appreciate your efforts very much.

Please do not feel the need to explain the setup to me in detail, but some quick overview would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Joe Coppertone

Reply to
Joe Crafton

The simplest is DNS redirection. You ask for

formatting link
and a DNS server replies with an IP address. In the DNS-redirector scheme, it returns its own IP address instead, and your PC displays a screen that they want.

formatting link
The next level is regardless of what IP address you request, you get the results from their server.

formatting link
Once you satisfy their login, which could be anything from "Hilton Garden Hotels, acknowledge the Terms of Service", to paying by credit card, you are supplied with a real DNS server, and your IP address requests go where you think they are going.

Reply to
dold

Check out the

formatting link
open source project.

Reply to
Paul

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.