IP Address

I have a NetGear WGT604 router connected with a hardwired desktop and an wireless notebook. Internet access is through highspeed DSL which uses dynamic assignment of IP addresses.

Everything works perfectly but I am puzzled by one thing. Every couple of hours, the internet IP address assigned to the router changes - this occurs without a reset of the DSL modem or of the router. Is this normal ?

Reply to
TLB
Loading thread data ...

Perhaps your DSL provider is assigning a short lease to your dynamic IP address, then assigning a new IP?

Reply to
Jerry Park

Unusual, but might depend on how your ISP deals with such things. On cable, mine changes only if I power off the router, and often not then. Ask your ISP.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Looks like you're using sympatico.ca as an ISP. I don't know much about Canadian ISP's. Apparently it's PPPoE DSL. My guess(tm) is that you have your WGT604 set to disconnect after some fairly short period of time. When your router reconnects, it gets a new IP address. You should set the idle time to zero (never disconnect).

Also, if you happen to be using the Sympatico access manager, see:

formatting link
it's idle Timeout settings.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

just looked in a forum for your isp and as long as the modem is powered on and connected to router that in a powered on state ip rarely changes. perhaps your router or modem or electricity is powering on/off occasionally ?

Reply to
bumtracks

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.