Gaming Router

First off, I'm pretty technical (worked as IT Tech for a while) but I have a very nasty mental block when it comes to networking, so stick with me whilst i ask some possibly, very dumb questions.

My basic issue is this. I'm with sky broadband, who insist that you are only allowed to use their router with their service, moreover they have said more than once that it is in fact only possible to use their routers.

Their supplied router is a Netgear DG834GT . . well, netgear don't exactly have the best track record Router wise. Added to this many online gaming services don't support netgear routers (including the one used by Company of Heroes, the game i'm having the biggest issues with)

Ok so using this very helpful page

'Sky Broadband Username and Password | Philip Nicosia'

formatting link
I was able to secure my sky username and password meaning I can change my router for something a little less, whats the word, Redundant. As i'm going to do this I figured I might as well simply look for the best overall option and learn something as well.

Issue 1. What is a good router for gaming in general (port forwarding, being supported by a large number online gaming services etc) Considering i wish to be able to both connect to others servers and run my own servers for others to connect to me

Issue 2. Having procured said Router, how do i set it up with my sky Id and Password. I'm assuming its quite simple (I already know how to get into routers, change settings, passwords, portforward etc and dont have issues getting my ip, find the ports games use etc)

Issue 3. is this actually the best option anyway?. I know just connecting to the net directly from a modem avoids all this rubbish but there is a second pc that connects via wireless card to the router. I assume this means there is no way of spliting so i connect directly to the net whilst the other pc connect wirelessly to the router (I'm assuming not else more ppl would just do this to avoid the hassle) However would it be possible to in someway, connect this pc via modem then connect the other pc via a hub that goes to this pc, and if i can would their be any negative effects.

I don't play any LAN games so its only really for WAN

Any opinions on any of these questions would be much appreciated.

Cheers

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
phantomdentist
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.