Sky Broadband Netgear wireless issues

I have Sky Broadband Netgear DG834GT which is fine and working well. When I am next to the PC I can connect wirelessly to laptop but signal constantly drops. My house is very big and old with big walls. I can connect in hallways but not in rooms. I am DESPERATE to get wirelessly connected elsewhere.

-Info for use: There is only one active phone socket which obviously the PC and Netgear are plugged into. All other rooms upstairs and downstairs have cordless phones. -

What can I do to increase signal? I can't move the router so what other alternatives are there?

What about this - 'Play.com (UK) : Netgear WGXB102 Radio Access Point

802.11b, 802.11g, HomePlug 1.0 : PC - Free Delivery'
formatting link
Please help as this is driving me nuts!

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
welshbec79
Loading thread data ...

Hi... All Wireless routers has a range in which you would get a perfect signal after which it starts dropping... In your case, the main problems u are facing are House is big, walls are thick and the cordless phones. Cordless phones and wireless routers works on the same freq range, so when both are used frequent disconnections would occur. For the big area that u have only option is going with range expanders.I have worked for linksys so i know they are good products. Solution :

1st call Netgear tech support and try to change the wireless channel to anything other than 6. Update the latest firmware on the router. Buy linksys WRE54Gv3.. Config the range Expander with the same wireless config that u have in the router. Try these steps... It should help u a lot.

Another suggestion is to go for any N-Standard wireless routers like WRT300N which will give more u more speed and range for the signal... Hope these info are helpfull to u...

Do visit my website

formatting link
for any info...

thanks. Manu

Reply to
qwerty

"welshbec79" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@no-mx.wirelessforums.org...

Have you tried adjusting the angle of the antenna on the back of the DG834GT ? I believe the strongest signal is in the shape of a toroid centred on the antenna. Is the metal case of the PC obstructing the wireless signal ? Are there any wires close to the DG834GT that could be obstructing the signal ?

Eric

Reply to
Eric Parker

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.