Extend Wi-fi Range Using WGR614 wi-fi router & WG602 access point??

Hi All,

I currently have a Netgear WGR614 wireless router that I have been very pleased with. Unfortunately, the wireless range is not quite sufficient in my home and I am trying to find a way to extend it.

I am considering purchasing a Netgear WG602 access point to place in between my wireless router and the furthest wireless computer. Am I on the right track?

I've done quite a bit of research about this subject by most articles seem to only talk about using two access points connected to a wired router.

What I want to do is purchase a single access point and use it with my existing wireless router... Is this possible?

Thanks in advance for any hints or suggestions.

James

Reply to
James Nipper
Loading thread data ...

Well, what you're describing is a wireless repeater. I'm not a big fan of those, but they sometimes work. The problem is that compatibility between a random repeater and your WGR614 is not guaranteed. However, the WG602 v2 and v3 in repeater mode apparently (not 100% sure) do work with the WGR614. (Stay away from the WG602 v1). You might ask Netgear support to be sure.

formatting link
that WPA-PSK encryption does NOT work with repeater mode, which means you're stuck with the inferior WEP encryption.

If the repeater mode doesn't work, you can always run CAT5 cable from your WGR614 to the WG602 and set it up as an access point instead of a repeater. This way, WPA-PSK encryption should work.

Also, you might consider playing with antennas and reflectors before adding hardware:

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.