Extend wireless range using additional phone point

{Sorry if this question is a duplication - I did search, but didn't find a specific answer regarding the two phone points.}

I need to extend a wireless signal to the far end of my house. At one end of the house I have a Netgear RangeMax NEXT Wireless-N Router WNR834B connected to a phone line. I want to extend the range such that a Netgear Skype phone works at the other end of the house, where the signal is a bit patchy.

I've read about the pros and cons of wireless repeaters and signal boosters. Seeing as I have another phone point at the other end of the house and also an old ADSL modem and wireless router, would it be better just to plug these in to the phone point to avoid buying additional hardware? Could I use the same network name and settings to avoid having to switch networks on the Skype phone or would I have to set up a different network name?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Reply to
dylan
Loading thread data ...

Nope. Only one ADSL modem can be connected to an ADSL line at a time. If running a CAT5 cable is not an option, have you thought of using a "homeplug" (i.e. LAN via mains cabling) type of solution?

Reply to
Steve Pearce

Where does that wire go? Is it daisy-chained along with a number other outlets? Or is it a direct line back to the phone panel? If it's a direct line you *may* be able to re-use it as an 10/100BaseT ethernet connection.

That will not work. DSL uses the phone line and your existing DSL service is already on that phone line. You'd have to get a second DSL line and subscribe to the internet on it. Then you'd have a whole rats nest of networking hassles.

Better choice is to see about just running a CAT5E line to other end of the house and putting a wireless access point on it. Wire is CHEAP. Bite the bullet and run the wire. Really, it'll provide much more reliable service in the long run.

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
Bill Kearney

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 10:50:08 -0500, "Bill Kearney" wrote in :

Powerline networking is another option that requires no cable pulling.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.