How to use wireless printer in WIFI community

I currently have a wireless network with a router so 2 computers can use the internet and use the printer. The router is hooked up to the cable modem. My community now is implementing a WIFI network where each computer can get onto their network, thereby eliminating the need for expensive cable service. How can I use the wireless printer so both computers can use it? Do I need additional equipment or can I still use my router?

Furthermore, if I buy an Apple IPOD Touch, which apparently has WIFI capability, can I put this onto my community network?

Reply to
Les Condo
Loading thread data ...

On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 14:54:28 -0700 (PDT), Les Condo wrote in :

Your wireless router will still work for printer sharing if you're willing to switch between two different wireless networks, (1) community wireless Internet and (2) home wireless network for printing. Otherwise you'll need a wireless Ethernet client bridge to feed your wireless router from the community wireless Internet instead of cable Internet.

Reply to
John Navas

We don't print much, so changing networks wouldn't be a problem. However, I don't see how we could print a page from the internet.

Reply to
Les Condo

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 17:23:04 -0700 (PDT), Les Condo wrote in :

If that's something you need to do, then you should get a wireless Ethernet client bridge.

Reply to
John Navas

Which wireless printer do you have - is it actually standalone wireless, or plugged into your router via Ethernet ?

How do you connect your computer to the community wifi system ? Is there a logon splash screen of some sort of "agreement page" or anything else that requires some "keyboard" type of interaction ?

How is the signal strength from the community system vs your own local access point ? If you are just looking to loose the cable modem expense, you could try hooking up you router to a "wireless bridge" in place of the cable modem. that would in turn connect to the community wireless system - so you would basically have a back to back wirless system....

Reply to
ps56k

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.