DSL with wireless phone jack

I am thinking about switching to DSL internet but don't have a phone jack near where I want to locate the modem. Do wireless phone jacks work fine with DSL? Are there any that are better than others or any that DON'T work?

Reply to
brianthiede
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com hath wroth:

Oh-oh.

No. The wireless phone jacks only communicate the audio portion of the signal (0.3Khz - 3KHz). The DSL data is between 100KHz and about

1.5MHz which does not go through the wireless phone jack boxes.

None of wireless phone jacks will work for extending DSL.

I have yet to see a situation where a decent electrician or indecent engineer cannot figure out a way to run wire. Phone wire is VERY easy to run.

One alternative is to install your DSL modem near the phone jack and use power line networking to extend the ethernet part of the puzzle. See:

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

The modem is something usually left connected and untouched 24/7 and with no user buttons or controls, so why care where the modem is? Just put the modem where any phone jack is (or can be) and then figure how to route the WAN or LAN from there by ethernet cable, wireless, powerline etc.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony R. Gold

Well, if the modem was by itself it might not be an issue, but I'll have the modem, wireless router, print server and networked printer, NAS and attached external hard drive all in the same location since they are ethernet wired devices. There is no convenient place in my house next to a phone line to locate all those components. So, I'll either have all that cluttering up the family room, bedroom, or kitchen, or run a new line to where I want it all. I was hoping to avoid it, but I think I'll run a new line. I can do that myself, but just curious - anyone know how much the phone company charges for a new jack?..

Reply to
brianthiede

In the Peoples Republic of Santa Cruz CA, the local monopoly charges about $75 to show up and another $75 to run the jack. There's some kind of complicated formula to deal with difficult runs and complex installations. One of my business customers recently paid about $175 for simply punching down 2 existing wires in a phone closet and labeling the existing wall jack.

There are local independent wiring installers that will do the job for about $75 to $150, again depending on complications and complexity.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.