Connecting a PC a stereo - wirelessly

Hi guys and gals - wondered if someone might be able to shed a little light on a headscratcher of mine.

I'm trying to get my PC to connect to my new stereo that my lovely wife bought for me recently.

We currently have a wireless network set up - a laptop connects without problems. However, I am trying to connect my Sony NAS-50HDE stereo to my PC via the recommended Buffalo WLI-U2-KG54AI-3 - USB WiFi Adapter.

I am using a Linksys WAG354G router but cannot seem to get it to even "see" a signal from the stereo.

The instructions suggest a simple "plug and play" setup, but I've tried for two nights now and seem no nearer a solution.

Any advice you could give would be most appreciated!

Wayne

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
HeyWayne
Loading thread data ...

Check the model number again... The buffalo website, at

formatting link
doesn't even show that number at all, and the closest is WLI-U2-KG54AI (no -3), but shows as a Portable Plug and Play Wireless USB Solution for Notebook or Desktop Users! (IE Something that runs windows)

Reply to
Peter Pan

Here's where I got it - and it actually says the exact same number on the box: 'Amazon.co.uk: Buffalo WLI-U2-KG54-AI-3 54g Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter with Auto Install: Electronics & Photo'

formatting link
As you will see from page 86 of this pdf:
formatting link
it is the adaptor that Sony themselves suggest - and a complete novice like me is likely to follow such guidance unequivocally.

The stereo is picking up the settings from the PC, but I cannot get the PC to "see" the stereo - or add it as an item on the network. In order to get the network functions (audio and image data) to work on the stereo it says you have to "register" the stereo on the PC - but that is where the problem lies...

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
HeyWayne

The model number is correct, it appears on the box, and I purchased it from Amazon: 'Amazon.co.uk: Buffalo WLI-U2-KG54-AI-3 54g Wireless USB

2.0 Adapter with Auto Install: Electronics & Photo'
formatting link
The number I took directly from the Sony manual - see page 86 of the following pdf:
formatting link
If you search this number in Google - Amazon is the first listing.

For complete novices like me - one would expect the advice that manufacturers give to be fairly accurate?

I know the adaptor is working - as the stereo has picked up the setting info from the PC, showing the IP address etc. The problem lies when trying to get the PC to "see" the stereo. In order to use the Network function or transfer data (audio & image files) to the stereo you are required to "register" the stereo on your PC - herein lies my problem....

formatting link

Reply to
HeyWayne

First I'm in the US so I see different thing for north america/us than you do, Again, from that pdf on page 86 it shows the "Buffalo WLI-U2-KG54", *NO* "-Ai-3" (and no U2 either, its shows as USB instead of U2 in it) and nothing added on to the end of it... have no clue where you got the -ai-3 stuff, however, if you go direct to the website

formatting link
they DO have a quick start guide for that device, and when I use the number given in the sony PDF document I see this (converted to plain text for pasting)..... Search

Search by Keyword Advanced Options

Your search "WLI-U2-KG54" did not match any documents.

Did you mean: wli-usb-g54?

============== At any rate, I understand your wanting to believe the sony manual, and the google search, however, I would consider the buffalo website being the final authotity on what model numbers they make and sell, and tend to dis-believe anyone else giving model numbers.. Point is, if you go to the buffalo website, and search for the model number you see in the sony manual, you get not found--did you mean... I would suspect that in the case of another manufacturers model number, i'd go with what the manufacturer says it is, and not what someone else says it is... Up to you, but since it (and what you got from amazon) doesn't work, you may want to try the manufacturer site

formatting link
and see what they have, and the quick start stuff for it, or if you happen to have a hub/router and a cat5 cable, you could at least try it wired temporarily to even see if you can make it work (that was in the sony document using wired ethernet, or for that matter, page 85 tells how to skip the router hubs and just hook it direct to your cable/adsl modem, you may want to try that too just to see if it will work at all)

Another thought, what type of encryption are you using? Didn't notice in the specs, but my TIVO won't works unless it's open or only using WEP... (come to think of it, if it's not programmable at the device level, will it even work with any sort of encryption?)

Reply to
Peter Pan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.