Issues in connecting wirelessly with Mac Powerbook and Linksys Router

OK. Here's the deal. I am entirely frustrated and also over my head trying to solve this on my own as I have no idea what I'm doing.

I have a Mac Powerbook, OS X (3.9). I have always connected to the internet wirelessly through my Linksys router (Wireless B Access Point, Model Wap 11).

I have recently moved and now use Comcast for my internet. When they installed my internet, I had not yet unpacked my wireless router, so I was set up to be connected via the actual cable plugged in. Now that the router is all set up, I cannot for the life of me get my wireless to work. Currently, I can use the internet wirelessly in other homes/school no problem. In those cases, I don't do anything, I just turn on my computer and it connects automatically. But for some reason in my apartment I cannot make it work.

I *think* the problem lies somewhere in the IP address area? If I look at my Airport settings and go to the TCP/IP tab, there is no information contained on the screen. Meaning, in the area where it says IP Address, Subnet Mask and Router, there is NO data listed, just gray empty space. The same goes for the DNS Servers and Search Domains areas, but at least in that case there is a white box to input text.

I can choose the "Configure IPv4 Using DHCP Manually" and that will let me input numbers, but I have no idea if I should even be playing around with this.

Also, perplexing me even more, is the fact that I can choose my Linksys internet connection through the Airport screen, and when I have selected it, I show full bars. But I can't actually connect.

Silly me, I attempted to call Comcast for help with the issue, but they say that as long as I can connect to the internet in any way (plugged in) then they do not care that I can't connect wirelessly.

I miss checking my email in bed...someone please help!!!

Thanks a million in advance for any and all help.

-kt

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
kansonch
Loading thread data ...

kansonch hath wroth:

Great. We're starting at zero. Punch reset and clear brain.

The WAP11 is an "access point", not a router. They're quite different. Note that using an access point for wireless is really only appropriate if you have a "cable router". If you have a "cable modem", I suggest you go shopping for something better. The WAP11 is

802.11b only, with limited security, lousy speed, and old.

So, you now have a Comcast modem. Any particular model number?

Good. Does that part work (when you plug your PowerBook directly into the cable modem?

Ummm... is the thing that Comcast left a "cable modem" or a "cable router"? Big difference. If you're not sure, just supply the model number.

Ok, the PowerBook works.

Probably. There are some other places where you can do things wrong. The most likely culprit is the CAT5 cable that goes between the cable modem or router. When you plug it in, does a light come on at the cable box *AND* the WAP11?

Well, if you can find that, we can have some fun. Setup your MacBook for: IP address: 192.168.1.15 (the 15 is random) Netmask: 255.255.255.0 Gateway: 192.168.1.15 DNS: don't care Run a CAT5 cable from your PowerBook to the WAP11 ethernet jack. Make sure the lights come on when you plug in the cable.

Now, point your web browser at: http://192.168.1.251I think (not sure) that this is the default IP address of the WAP11. It really depends on the hardware version of the WAP11 (see serial number tag) which you didn't supply. Sometimes it's 192.168.1.250 or

192.168.1.240. Try them all. You should get a login followed by a configuration page. That's how you make any changes to the WAP11 settings.

That usually means that some settings have changed. If it says "linksys" for the SSID, the WAP11 probably got reset somehow during the move.

Yep. They supply cable service, not wireless service.

Move the bed closer to the Comcast modem/router/whatever and run a long CAT5 cable.

Try to find the model number on the Comcast box. I would go shopping for something better than a WAP11.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

The cable modem is configured to work with the MAC address in your laptop, and won't recognize the MAC address of your Access Point. You can connect just fine to the Access Point, but it isn't connected to anything else.

Try turning off the cable modem and access point for five minutes. Turn on the cable modem, wait for it to come up fully. Connect your access point. That should work for Comcast connections. My cable ISP used to require a phone call to the support center. Tell them that you want to connect a new PC, and no longer connect the old one, and it isn't working for you.

That should cause them to register the MAC of the Access Point instead of the laptop. Then you could work wirelessly, but not be able to connect the laptop directly to the modem.

Reply to
dold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.