Client lease time

Any reason I shouldn't make this as near infinite as possible to stop disconnects?

Reply to
__spc__
Loading thread data ...

Can make reconfiguration a pain.

It won't cause disconnects.

Reply to
John Navas

Nope, in a small home network there's no real need to use DHCP at all, in fact, its just more convenient. Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Depends, I have a couple of devices which offer no manual configuration whatsoever. They can only get an address via DHCP.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

"__spc__" wrote in news:9W2Lf.43589$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net:

Setting a near-infinite time will mean that you risk consuming all available addresses at some point in the future. Unlikely for most SoHo users, but you did ask "Any reason...".

Does not compute - what are you referring to? With a well-behaved client and DHCP server, the lease renewal process should not cause disruption to an existing connection.

The overhead of lease renewals is very low. I suggest you set a fairly long, non-infinite, lease time (say 7 days?) and stop worrying :-)

Reply to
Frazer Jolly Goodfellow

Thats pretty unusual for network devices. What are they? I've never come across any network device that didn;t allow a fixed IP to be entered, so it would be interesting to know. Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Long DHCP leases will do nothing for disconnect problems.

Generally a bad idea. I have problems with long DHCP lease times with hot spots. There are just too many wireless clients drifting around that automagically associate with anything. They fill up the DHPC leases and ARP table eventually causing a router crash or hang. For open hot spots, I go for very short lease times. Of course, if you have encryption enabled, this is not a problem.

Long lease times can also be replaced by "static DHCP". Lots of routers have this feature. That's where you configure a specific MAC address to always have the same IP address. That's handy when you wanna do incoming port redirection but don't wanna setup a static IP address on a laptop. The laptop may need to wander over to a different system and the static IP's will need to be removed.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

The usual culprit is something basic like a printer server that lacks any sort of interface.

Reply to
John Navas

Hauppauge MVP Media Extender. It's a bit frustrating to be honest! I won't go into details but one of mine is at such a position in the network that if it changes address, I have to go and reconfigure a security gateway.

I guess Hauppauge figure that with home use, you'll just use the supplied software and all will be well except that there are other PVR solutions which replace the Hauppauge software but don't include either bootp or dhcp services hence it gets farmed out to something else and with no option to configure a static address you're pretty much forced one way or another.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.