DI-624 Flashing Breaks Wireless Network

Situation: Motorola SBG-1000 wireless cable modem gateway with two PCs connected to switch ports, and one switch port feeding a D-Link DI-624 (Hardware Rev C3) wireless access point to extend wireless range. The Motorola is 802.11b and the D-Link is 802.11g.

The DI-624 firmware was at version 2.50; two subsequent updates are available. So, using a PC hard-wired to the D-link, I flashed the bios to version 2.70.

The Motorola cable modem, still connected to the D-link, immediately became intermittent in the following ways: Wireless connectivity to the Internet was occasional, usually OK after a reboot, but soon failing. One PC hard wired to the cable modem connected to the Internet every time. Another PC hard wired could never see the Internet. A ThinkPad could occasionally connect to the Internet via hard wire connection or wireless. But all three could always log into the cable modem's admin account, via hard wire or wireless.

The cable modem was leased from the ISP, who confirmed my report of intermittent connectivity with their laptop, and swapped it out for the newer SBG-940 which is an 802.11g equivalent to the SBG1000. All three PCs could now connect to the Internet; everything worked as expected.

Now, back to the newly firmware flashed D-Link wireless access point. It couldn't see the Internet, but any computer could log into its admin account either via hard wire or wireless connection. I flashed it again to version 2.70; still nothing. So I flashed it back to Version

2.50; everything worked perfectly!

I'm convinced the flashing of the D-link still connected to the Motorola cablel modem affected it's performance. But the word firmware didn't appear in the user manual, nor was there any reference to firmware in the support section. I understand the intended customer of this line of cable modems is ISPs which have support capabilities that I don't know about, such as remote diagnosis and configuration. I told the ISP support guy exactly what happened, but he didn't say anything. I'm convinced that if the SBG1000 has firmware, and it could be reflashed, it would start working normally.

I learned, wherever possible, never to flash firmware when the target device is connected to any other device which might contain similar firmware.

Reply to
Paul
Loading thread data ...
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

Are the two wireless units on two different non-overlapping channels (1, 6,

11)? Do they have the same or different SSIDs?

I seriously doubt that.

It's unwise to draw general conclusions on so little data.

Reply to
John Navas

The two units have different SSIDs, and both different from the default SSID that flashing would revert to. Same thing with channel: the D-link was on channel 11 which reverts to channel 6 upon flashing while the Motorola was on channel 1, which is also the default upon reset.

The strangest part of the problem is the intermittent and non-functioning of the hard wire switch ports.

Reply to
Paul

v[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

Do the wired units work properly when you power down the second wireless router (changing nothing else)?

Reply to
John Navas

My original post was long, so it got lost in two paragraphs. After the ISP swapping out the SBG-100 with the newer SBG-940 AND reverting back to firmware 2.50 from 2.70 for the D-Link, everything worked perfectly, both wired and wireless, separately and together.

Reply to
Paul

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.