Using an old network

My situation: sometime ago, I set up a network using a Win98SE desktop and the same on a notebook. I used a Microsoft Broadband Wireless Notebook Adaptor Kit. It worked just fine from day one. I could "see" shared files & folders plus I could print from either on a non-network printer. Of course, I also could get on the Internet with both.

I set it up so that the network name was Holysmoke; Workgroup was Bayview; the desktop was Office; and the notebook was Dell.

In the last six months, I have purchased a WinXP Pro notebook and a Windows Media Center 2005. The notebook came 1st. I wasn't able to get it to work with the network. It never even "saw" the network. Now with the addition of the Media Center desktop, I cannot join either to the network but still can use the Internet.

When I click on View workgroup computers on the notebook, I see the "Office" desktop, but when I try to access the Office desktop, I get a message telling me that:

"\\\\Office is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The network path was not found."

On my Desktop, when I try to view the workgroup, I get this message: "Bayview is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available."

Both have the same workgroup name and each has an individual name and description. I hope this is specific enough information. I wonder if I had to run the Network wizard at all? The new computers use the name of the old. Shouldn't it be seamless? Guess not. I'm resigned to using VNC if I must. Thanks in Advance.

Reply to
Susan
Loading thread data ...

Susan,

On the computer where the file or folder is, right click the file and choose Sharing and Security....

Under the Sharing tab you will see how to share your files. HTH

-- Louie Gainesville, FL USA (eat the flies to email)

Reply to
Louie

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.