I want to set up a home network using:

- cable modem that connects to 4 port Linksys router that connects to a

4 port DLlink wireless/4port router

- 3 computers plus the DLink are hooked up to the Linksys

- 2 computers plus a wireless are hooked up to the DLink

Not sure if I created a mess, but only the computers hooked up directly

to a router see each other, but NOT the computers that are on the other

router.

Can I make the routers "see" all computers?

Or: how else can I hook up 5 computers + 1 Wireless with this hardware?

I guess the pros will tell me: hook up the wireless/4port router to the

cable modem, then plug in a regular hub (not a router).

I am guessing that routers effectively "block" what is behind (almost their purpose). But since I have these 2 routers, I thought I can use one as a hub.

Can a router be "made" to act as a hub, maybe switching firewall or other stuff off?

Reply to
vtraudt
Loading thread data ...

"Duane Arnold" hath wroth:

Medium

formatting link
you trim the ultra long Linksys URL's down to just the document ID number, it will also work. That works for their "Easy Answers" (knowledge dump) URL's but doesn't work for URL's on their product or download web piles.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Your D-Link can probably be made to act as a switch.

Turn off DHCP on the D-Link (and any other firewall/filtering you can). Connect from the Linksys to a LAN port on the D-Link.

Reply to
Jerry Park

DHCP must be enabled on only one router, preferably the one connected to the modem.

__modem__[wan]router[lan]__[lan]router

You may need to use an uplink port or a crossover cable to make the router[lan]__[lan]router connection.

Reply to
Dom

Duane Arnold wrote: I got

Check out the WiFlyer at

formatting link
Lets me use my wireless laptop/even with dialup (wirelessly), so I can stay in bed and surf... :)

Reply to
Peter Pan

Can someone send the same details for the DLink Di-524? I found "Static IP" (vs. switching off DHCP)? I was then ask to fill in a primary DNS (where would I get that from?). Should I just put in like 255.255.255.0?

Reply to
Volker

Also: I remember there was a nice dos command that I could enter into the "run:..." line in XP, that showed me all the settings. It was NOT ipconfig, but more something like wincfg or so. Anybody know what I am talking about?

Reply to
Volker

"Volker" hath wroth:

IPCONFIG /ALL

WINIPCFG is for Windoze 95/98/ME. WNTIPCFG is for Windoze 2K and XP. For W2K, download from: |

formatting link
's included with Windoze XP.

You might wanna also grab NETDIAG for W2K. It's included with XP. When run from the command line, it shows quite a few network configuration problems. |

formatting link
Lots of other tools are included (and well hidden): |
formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Deprecated.

formatting link

Reply to
Dom

An ipconfig/all on an Internet-working machine will give you the DNS server addresses.

Reply to
Dom

Long

formatting link
**&p_li=&p_topview=1 Short

formatting link
You make the adjustments in the instructions based on what router is going to be the gateway and which one will be the switch after truning off DHCP.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

William P.N. Smith hath wroth:

For XP, it's not in the "resource kit". It's in the "support tools". The names have been changed to confuse the innocent.

Find the original XP cdrom and dive into: E:\\SUPPORT\\TOOLS\\ directory. Run SETUP.EXE program. Tell it to install everything.

To run: Start -> Run -> CMD netdiag /v | more Lots and lots and lots and lots of info mixed with gibberish.

In the case of Windoze 2000, the installers dump everything into: C:\\PROGRAM FILES\\RESOURCE KIT\\ There are some HTML files with usage documentation in this directory. No clue where MS dumps it for XP.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

formatting link
If you trim the ultra long Linksys URL's down to just the document ID

You told me that once before. I just couldn't remember it. I got enough to do just remembering to get out of the bed in the morning.

Thanks

Reply to
Duane Arnold

But maybe only if you've installed the resource kit?

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

No, you were misled.

You must turn off the DHCP _server_ but you can still get your IP via DHCP (and it will get it from the other router). But the second router must connect from a LAN port, not the WAN or INTERNET port, to the first router.

Reply to
Derek Broughton

Why not do the following?

__[wan]modem/router[lan]__[lan]router[lan]__[lan]router

Using all lan connections, that sounds correct. Are you sure that's a lan-to-wan connection between the first and second routers? The addressing you mentioned should be incompatible with such a topology.

Reply to
Dom

A static IP to do what? This thread is about connecting two routers together. So what is your intent with this Static IP?

Reply to
Duane Arnold

The Extened Stay America Inn I am at while on the road has wireless and I won't even use that. :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Here is one setup I have assembled with 3 routers.

__[wan]modem/router[lan]__[wan]router[lan]__[lan]router

(Speedstream 5861)_______SMCwirelessrouter____100ftCAT5___SMCwirelessrouter IIRC The 2 SMC routers both have their DHCP disabled, but the 1st SMC got it's LAN address changed to be included into the 5861's LAN's IP range and the second just has a static WAN IP address that is also in the 5861's LAN's IP range. I probably made this too complicated but it works, I can move files between computers and share a printer on 1 computer!!! ;-)

I needed/wanted to set up the two wireless routers to have 2 wired & 1 wireless accesses to the network. The first SMC router has a very limited transmitting range.

later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

No you are correct Dom, it is a lan to lan connection between the first and second router and also between the second and third router. I just checked it today. later, dave (One out of many daves)

Speedstream-5861[lan]__[wan]SMCwirelessrouter[lan]__[lan]SMCwirelessrouter

Reply to
One out of many daves

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.