Can't keep connection with new router

I've had a wireless/wired "network" at home for several years with a Netgear Router. The only wireless connection is to my wife's laptop in the kitchen with two grandkid's computers hard wired. The Netgear's ability to broadcast wireless seems to have died, not that unusual I am told. I say this because her computer could still see other wireless connections, so I'm sure her NIC card was working.

I purchased a D Link Dir 615 on a guru's recommendation. This is the new "N" type so should have me positioned for future upgrades. It was a struggle to get the wireless connection going and secure, but finally I am there. I was more than disappointed as I had to move the router to get even as good a wireless connection as I had with the Netgear. N is supposed to be so much better?

Now for the problem. I lose everything's internet connection at least once a day, sometimes more often. The problem is resolved NOT by unplug/replug modem and router, but rather by having to access the router settings and telling it to "clone the MAC address". In the past, with the Netgear, we needed to recycle the modem/router once in a blue moon, literally about once a month. This is more than irritating and really stretches my wife's computer talents if I'm not home. I still use a Surfboard

3100 if that makes any difference.

I would appreciate any input or suggestions. I will return the router to Comp USA if this issue is not resolved.

Reply to
DanG
Loading thread data ...

Hi Dan, I also have the same problem with Comcast internet. I am hoping someone knows how to resolve this problem. If I hit renew IP address for the WAN I can access the internet again.

-Mike

Reply to
mr.shiat

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 06:31:33 -0500, "DanG" wrote in :

It's not really N, it's pre-N, and there's considerable difference in various N products. In addition, you need the same kind of pre-N on all devices to get any real benefit.

Sounds like a DHCP lease problem. Don't clone the MAC address. Just make sure you're running the latest firmware in the wireless router. If that doesn't solve the problem, get a different wireless router. Seriously.

My own recommendation would be the Buffalo high-power (non-N) wireless router, along with a better antenna if needed.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.