strange problem with wireless N on dlink dir-615 / toshiba laptop

Should encription like wep / wpa etc be any different if your laptop is connected in Wireless N mode v's G or B etc. Here's whats bugging me at the moment. I have a new toshiba laptop with wireless N capabilities and a dlink DIR-615 router. The DIR-615 has a setting which can force "wireless N only" mode which i turned on just to test out the wireless N speeds etc. With encription turned off it connects ok (speed was 150mbs ..5m across the room). The minute i turn wep or wpa or wpa2 on my laptop wont connect (yeh im putting in the same passcode into the laptop etc!). Yet if if change the router to accept all speeds (ie wireless N G B etc), it connects ok wiht WEP/WPA etc but only connects at 54mbit G settings ..not N. Basically if i use any encription ie wpa/wep etc it wont connect with wireless N settings?

Any ideas?

Reply to
bitz
Loading thread data ...

Meanwhile, at the alt.internet.wireless Job Justification Hearings, bitz chose the tried and tested strategy of:

Update firmware on the router and make sure you've got the latest wireless drivers. Try either a different router or a different client PC/wireless adapter to prove it off.

Reply to
alexd

Hi, I had similar issue with Belkin N+router. It is a design fault of WiFi radio chip in the router. Maybe your D-link router uses same chip.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

It was a function of the 802.11n draft.

"The IEEE* 802.11n Draft prohibits using High Throughput with WEP or TKIP as the unicast cipher. If you use these encryption methods (e.g. WEP, WPA-TKIP), your data rate will drop to 54 Mbps. Newer Intel® wireless adapter client drivers connect using a legacy IEEE 802.11g connection rather than failing to connect altogether, which complies with the IEEE 802.11n draft."

Reply to
Bob

wow - thanks for posting - will have to remember that for future.... does the actual "N" spec now allow for these encryptions ?

Reply to
ps56k

What actual N spec? it's still in draft, final specs aren't/defined approved yet....

Reply to
Peter Pan

hey Tinker Bell - do you ever have anything useful to add to a discussion ? or just the slings & arrows...

formatting link

Reply to
ps56k

I'm far too mean to purchase a copy of the standard but as far as the HT option is concerned the answer will be no. I did a Google and came across this

" ECN #155: Add in tests 4.2.39 and 5.2.46 to prevent TKIP from being used with HT rates"

also

"Disallow TKIP with HT Rate - Mandatory"

Reply to
Bob

THANKS FOR THE LINK, IT VERIFIES THAT ONLY A DRAFT (11.0) HAS BEEN PASSED SO FAR... no actual n specs yet other than draft...there is however a group that certifies stuff (Wifi.org), however, they just certify that they work with each other

even the latest from dlink..

The D-Link® Xtreme N? Gigabit Router (DIR-655) is a draft 2.0 802.11n compliant device

note it says "draft"... seems if the latest 655 from dlink is only a draft, why would a 615 be a final?

Reply to
Peter Pan

Really? "September 11, 2009 RevCom/Standards Board approval.[17]

October 29, 2009 Published.[2]"

also "IEEE Ratifies 802.11n, Wireless LAN Specification to Provide Significantly Improved Data Throughput and Range"

If you have $170 spare you can get a copy.

... no actual n specs yet other than draft...there is

As far as the Dlink UK site is concerned the 615 is still draft n

The release notes for the firmware for both revisions do not indicate any 11n amendments. Both the 615 and 655 were certified draft2 N by the WiFi Alliance.

I will repeat this link since ADT have been given approval by the WiFi Alliance to carry out 11n final certification.

Note that the option to test for either draft2.0 n or 11n ceased on the

29th Dec 2009.
Reply to
Bob

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.