Wireless Router Can't See Wireless Device

I'm trying to get my wireless router to connect with my wireless ATA as an access point. In spite of the settings below my router's web page does not show the ATA as one of its connected devices, nor does its DHCP assign an IP to the LAN NIC connected to the ATA. After forcing an IP on the NIC, I can login to the ATA's web page and make changes. Am I missing a configuration issue that's keeping the wireless ATA from appearing on my router's network?

OS: Vista32 SP2 Router IP = 192.168.0.1 = URL of router config web page Router IP range = 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.254 Router DHCP = ON Router MAC ID filtering = OFF IP of Wireless ATA = 192.168.0.120 = URL of ATA config web page IP of LAN NIC connected to ATA = 192.168.0.10 Wireless indicator on the ATA is ON. ATA SSID = same as wireless router's ATA SSID Broadcast flag = Enable ATA channel = same as wireless router's ATA WEP = same as wireless router's

Reply to
M.L.
Loading thread data ...

Any particular maker and model wireless router? Any particular maker and model ATA (VoIP) wireless adapter?

1. Your unspecified model wireless ATA adapter probably has an ethernet jack. Turn OFF the wireless for now, and do your testing with a wired ethernet connection. Once that's working, setup the wireless link.
  2. WEP sucks. Use WPA or WPA2 if possible. For initial testing turn
*OFF* encryption until you get it working. Then turn on WPA encryption. There are also conversion issues for WEP when converting from an ASCII to a HEX key. The Hex key usually works. That ASCII does not.
  1. It's highly likely that your unspecified model wireless ATA adapater is setup as a router with NAT enabled. What you want instead is to set it up as a wireless client. There is sometimes some setting in the wireless ATA adapter to do this, but I can't offer any clues without the maker and model number.
  2. The reason your unspecified model wireless ATA adapter did not obtain a DHCP assigned IP address from the unspecified model router is that the unspecified wireless ATA adapter probably does not have a wireless client mode. It's probably acting as an access point or wireless router, which has a DHCP *SERVER* running, and is lacking a DHCP client. For such derrangements, disable the DHCP server in the unspecified model ATA adapter and assign a static IP address. The setup is similar to using a wireless router as an access point as described in:
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

The wireless router is already functionally equivalent to an access point. Two access points can't connect to each other wirelessly. If you're trying to make this a wireless connection, one side will need to be configured as a client.

Other random suggestions:

1. If you're eventually going to have two wireless access points operating, choose different non-overlapping channels (such as 1,6,11) for each.
  2. Consider using different SSID's for each access point.
  3. Consider using one of the WPA flavors of wireless security. WEP is the equivalent of protecting a hot apple pie with a wet paper towel.
Reply to
Char Jackson

Thank you for your prompt response. I'll try to explain and answer as much as I can.

Comcast Netgear Wireless Cable Modem Gateway CG814WG

formatting link

SMC Networks SMCWTVG Wireless Router/ATA

formatting link

Sorry I didn't make it clear but I already connect to the SMCWTVG via an Ethernet cable to view the SMCWTVG config web page at

I'd rather not debate WEP. I don't want to turn off WEP for testing. I use a HEX key.

The SMCWTVG works in one of 3 easily selectable modes: As a Router, a Wireless Client, or an Access Point. I want to use it only as an Access Point for VOIP.

The wireless Access Point mode automatically turns off such router features as firewall, NAT and DHCP, essentially leaving the SMCWTVG as a passthrough device for VOIP. The Ethernet connection used for testing is supposed to get its IP from the Netgear router, not the SMCWTVG. However, since it's not getting an IP I'm forced to assign it a static one during testing. I'm trying to find out why the Netgear isn't handing over an IP address to my LAN connection, and why the SMCWTVG isn't showing up on the Netgear's config web page as a connected wireless device. Although the SMCWTVG has an IP (192.168.0.120) within the Netgear's IP range, it's acting as though it's not on Netgear's network. I hope this clarifies my OP.

Reply to
M.L.

Fine, but you're making your life difficult. I don't think hackers will attack your system in the short time it takes to verify that you can connect and get a DHCP assigned IP from the router.

Incidentally, if the CG814WG has MAC address filtering, or other obstructive security measure enabled, I suggest you might want to either include the MAC address of the wireless and wired interfaces (they're different) of the SMCWTVG ATA. Better yet, just disable it for testing. (General plan.... keep it simple).

It won't work the way you want. In the router mode, the DHCP server is enabled. You cannot have a DHCP server and client running on the same interface (ethernet or wireless). It's one, or the other. Even if you disable the DHCP server in the router mode, that doesn't magically enable the DHCP client.

However, in the wireless client mode, the DHCP server will be disabled and the DHCP client will probably be automagically enabled.

Note that I'm not calling it an AP (access point). In order for it work as an AP, the NAT translation should not be functional. Reading the data sheet at:

it's obviouly a router, not an AP. However, the data sheet uses both terms interchanegably. Are there seperately selectable "AP mode" and "router mode" in the SMC? If my guess(tm) is correct, "AP mode" would allow only one wireless or ethernet connection because it can connect to only one IP address without NAT. (For NAT/PAT to work, you need a router).

Incidentally, the SMCWTVG is generically known as a "travel router". As you noted, it has various modes, each of which involve different configuration of DHCP server, client, AP mode, client mode, and probably whether the FXO connects to the WAN side or LAN side of the router.

If you insist on running it in the router mode, the wireless part of the puzzle is NOT going to connect to another router. However, if the travel router supported WDS (wireless distribution service), it would be possible for the travel router to simultaneously act as an AP, client, and repeater. However, looking at the data sheet, this is not possible.

I tried to download the manual from the SMC web pile and failed. It found the product, but no downloadable manual.

Please look again. I didn't see any AP mode. I saw a *ROUTER* mode which is a very different animal.

Ummm... what ethernet connection? If you mean the client computer, that's wrong. In router mode, it get its DHCP assigned IP address from the DHCP server in the SMCWTVG. That's what the

I'm a bit confused as to what you're trying to accomplish. If everything is working, except for obtaining a DHCP assigned IP address, just assign a static IP and be done with it.

Yep... it should. In AP mode (actually router mode) the WAN interface should have a DHCP client running, exactly like on a commodity wired router. However, the wireless port is probably connected to the ethernet switch, which puts it on the LAN side of the router. You cannot use the wireless to connect to the Netgear CG814WG because two wireless AP's will not talk/connect to each other. It will connect in client mode, but you didn't want to do that.

That's correct. In AP (or more correctly router) mode, it's on the LAN side of the SMC router, which will not connect to an AP. You use that for other wireless clients to connect to the SMC.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I found the manual at:

Things are somewhat clearer now.

Looks like I made a few mistakes. Sorry.

You're correct that there are 3 modes:

1. Client (bridge)
  2. AP (access point)
  3. Gateway (router)

What I think you want is the Gateway mode. This is where it acts like a router, dispenses IP addresses to client computahs, and has a DHCP client running on the WAN port.

Where I was wrong is where the wireless is attached. It varies depending on operating mode. From the client wireless config:

Auto The unit automatically selects the operating mode depending on the WAN port status.

- With no link on the WAN port, the unit starts up in Wireless Client mode.

- With a link on the WAN port, the unit starts up in Gateway mode. Basically, if you plug anything into the WAN port, the mode switches.

In manual mode, you have those two choices, plus the addition of an access point mode. Basically, these modes switch the wireless device between the LAN and WAN sides of the router, and switch the wireless operating mode between client and access point.

I can't tell exactly how you have yours set, so I can't really determine how the wireless should operate. It also might not be what you want. I suggest you try using it in one of the 3 manual modes, and see if that helps with the DHCP client.

My appologies (again) for the muddle.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

FYI, I'm the one who uploaded my SMCWTVG manual to that website :-) I was looking for the manual before the hardware was delivered and couldn't find it.

Another poster suggested I use the Wireless Client mode. No computers will be attached to the SMCWTVG after testing, just an analog telephone, so I don't think using it as a router will be necessary.

Reply to
M.L.

Char, I'd like to thank both you and Jeff for your prompt and helpful responses.

Looks like I was barking up the wrong tree. I'll try connecting as a Wireless Client and let everyone know the results.

I thought the channels had to be the same.

I thought the SSIDs had to be the same.

Thanks again. I'll follow those instructions and let you know what happens.

Reply to
M.L.

Thanks. If you have time, you might want to inform SMC that the manual on their web pile is missing in action.

I agree. You didn't specify *HOW* you have everything connected together. The only clue is that you said: "The SMCWTVG works in one of 3 easily selectable modes: As a Router, a Wireless Client, or an Access Point. I want to use it only as an Access Point for VOIP." Since you insisted on using it in AP mode, I assumed that you have wireless client computers connecting to the SMC. Apparently not. In client mode it should work just fine, especially since the DHCP client will be running. Try it.

However, note that things change when you plug something into the WAN port. Watch out for that or bypass this feature with a manual setting.

Incidentally, if you have future questions, try to supply more information. At a minimum:

1. What are you trying to accomplish? (what works, what doesn't, how is it going to be used, what conditions, location, environment, etc).
  2. What do you have to work with? (hardware, software, versions, topology, IP layout, wiring).
  3. What have you done and what happened? (test results, oddities, troubleshooting, diagnostic results, etc).

Good luck.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Ok, I set the SMCWTVG mode as a Wireless Client. Here is what the manual states about that mode:

The configuration of wireless settings is available in Gateway Mode and Access Point Mode only. ... To access a wireless network in Wireless Client mode, connect your PC to the LAN port and then set your PC?s network connection to DHCP. In Wireless Client mode, the Personal Mobile Gateway acts as a DHCP server to assign IP address settings to one client connected on the LAN port. Use the default IP address, 192.168.2.1, to access the web management interface. Using the Setup Wizard or from the Mode Config page, you can then set up a connection to a nearby access point.

So I changed the SMCWTVG's gateway IP to 192.168.2.1, and it connects to my LAN connection using DHCP. However, it knocks out my wireless laptop connection to the Netgear. I get my wireless Internet connection back only if I disable the LAN connection. Does that make sense?

I can't do any of those things in Wireless Client mode since the wireless settings are not available in that mode. I also notice that the wireless indicator light is unlit in Wireless Client mode.

Reply to
M.L.

Hi,

Sorry to jump in on this thread.

From one of your posts, your "wireless router" is a "Comcast Netgear Wireless Cable Modem Gateway CG814WG".

I'm assuming that means that the CG814WG came from Comcast, and has a built-in cablemodem. So, the CG814WG needs to plug into the Comcast COAX on the "WAN side".

And, set that CG814WG up as a wireless router, with the DHCP server enabled, and set a SID, encryption type/key, etc.

Now, your ATA is a "SMC Networks SMCWTVG Wireless Router/ATA".

*Physically* connect the ethernet (RJ45) port of the SMCWTG to one of the 4 RJ45 ports on the CG814WG using a ethernet cable, then, set the SMCWTVG up as an Access Point.

For the SMCWTG's "wireless" or "LAN" side:

- You'll need to set the SSID, encryption type/key, etc., and

For the "WAN" side of the SMCWTG, you'll need to either:

- Set the SMCWTG WAN side to a fixed IP above the range of IPs that the CG814WG DHCP server will server, or

- Set the "WAN" side of the SMCWTG to just get an IP address from the CG814WG.

Then (and I'm assuming that you have an ATA because you have a phone and are using VOIP), then, plug an analog phone into the analog phone port on the SMCWTG.

So, what you end up with is:

Phone ======> SMCWTG ======> CG815WG =======> Comcast coax

That's probably the way that I'd do it, anyway.

Here's a nice picture of the SMCWTG setup:

formatting link
In the above picture, the blue cloud labelled "Internet" is essentially your CG815WG, in your case.

Now, I don't know if there is a way to connect the SMCWTG to the CG814WG wirelessly (i.e., with a non-cabled, wireless connection from the SMCWTG to the CG814WG). There may be, but I haven't worked with either of these products, so I don't know (I've worked with some other SMC equipment, and their terminology seems to be somewhat non-standard).

I think that to do this, the SMCWTG would have to be able to function simultaneously as an Access Point and as a Wireless client. As I said, I don't know if it can do that, but maybe that's what that's what SMC calls "Gateway"?

Anyway, I hope that this helps.

Later, Jim

Reply to
ohaya

No big deal. Take whatever IP address it offers for now.

OK, that makes sense. Without NAT, you can only bridge one IP address in the SMC, which is acting like a transparent wireless ethernet client bridge (whew!).

Ok. It really doesn't matter what IP address you use for management. However, you really want the Netgear to assign the IP address or you don't get to talk to the Netgear. With the SMC operating in the client mode, you apparently now have two DHCP servers operating. One in the Netgear and one in the SMC. That can be fixed. Read on.

Well yes. Your Netgear is at 192.168.0.1. It's not going to see anything on the 192.168.2.xxx network. So, please make the following changes:

1. Plug your computah into one of the LAN ports of the SMC travel router. Disable the wireless on your computer if so equiped to keep from accidentally connecting to the Netgear.
  2. Change the DHCP assigned IP address range of the Netgear from the default 192.168.0.2 -> 192.168.0.254 to something more sane like: 192.168.0.100 -> 192.168.0.199
  3. Set the IP address of the SMC to 192.168.0.2. This should be static and not DHCP assigned.
  4. Turn OFF the DHCP server in the SMC. This may cause some initial headaches until you establish a wireless connection with the Netgear.
  5. Reboot everything and pray. If everything works as expected, you should get an IP address from the Netgear on your computer. If you get something like 169.254.xxx.xxx, it didn't work. If that happens, try: ipconfig /release wait about 5 seconds ipconfig /renew If that still doesn't work, set your computer for a static IP address for 192.168.0.99 (or whatever). Any gateway and blank DNS servers. Now, you should be able to connect to the SMC at 192.168.0.2 and fix the configuration. Yes, I know turning off the DHCP server in the SMC is a pain at the laptop level, but you only have to do it once. Reboot again or do the above ipconfig trick. You should eventually get a DHCP assigned IP address of 192.168.0.100 with a gateway IP of
192.168.0.1. The DNS server could be 192.168.0.1 or the real DNS servers depending on how the Netgear is configured.
  1. Try browsing the internet, it should work.

What LAN connection? You should *NOT* have both a CAT5 cable and a wireless connection running simultaneously between the Netgear and the SMC. In the client mode, you are using the travel router as a wireless client. The only things that gets connected to the LAN ports on the SMC is the management computah.

The SMC description you quote is self-contradictory. The first line says that the wireless settings are not available in client mode. Then

3rd sentence explains how to connect to the web management pages.

What I guess(tm) they meant is that you cannot change the wireless channel in client mode. That's normal because the system access point controls what channel is used. The client scans all channels looking for a matching SSID. I think when you get everything on the same Class C IP address block, and disarm the extra DHCP server, things will start to work correctly.

What a PITA.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

So far, so good.

Not a bit, but probably because I don't know, or don't remember, how you have things connected. Obviously, it shouldn't do that, and it won't, once you get everything configured properly.

It sounds like you're saying the modem/router can handle only one wireless connection at a time. You might make sure the DHCP scope isn't set for a single client, or just set a client IP manually until you get the other stuff figured out.

That's ok, in Client mode you don't need to do any of those things. They are all done on the Access Point side of the wireless connection. The Client just follows what the Access Point does.

Reply to
Char Jackson

On Sun, 02 Aug 2009 22:50:42 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote: I forgot a step.

If that works, change the IP address and DNS servers of the computah from the 192.168.0.99 that was previously set, back to DHCP. Reboot and make sure that the Netgear DHCP server can properly assign an IP address to the computah.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

No problem. I welcome new ideas. :-)

Yes to all.

The Comcast Netgear router is located in a room upstairs while the SMCWTVG is in a downstairs room, so there can be no direct connection between the two. I bought the SMCWTVG in order to connect them wirelessly.

The Wireless Client mode allows surprisingly few configuration changes. Basically, I can switch to 1 of 3 modes, do a Site Survey to find other networks, change passwords, do firmware upgrades, and set VOIP SIP credentials and dialing plans. All the WAN and LAN configurations are done in the Gateway mode, while wireless configs are allowed in both Gateway and Access Point mode.

Yes

Yes, except the Netgear will have to be connected wirelessly.

Thank you. I'll try to employ as much of everyone's advice as possible.

Reply to
M.L.

First part has been done. The other is easy enough.

Unfortunately the Comcast Netgear web config doesn't allow the user to change either the default gateway IP or the IP range. I'll have to work with that given.

I'll have to temporarily switch to the Gateway mode for that. The SMC makes that easy to do. However, I'm going to make the IP

192.168.0.100. If that IP has to be outside of the Netgear range, I'm out of luck.

I can turn off DHCP only in Gateway mode on the SMC, and I can't guarantee that the result will still apply to the Wireless Client mode.

I'll let everyone know what happens from here.

Reply to
M.L.

Hi,

You may not be able to do that (wireless from SMC==>CG814WG) with the SMCWTVG (see the image I linked). I don't know for sure, because I haven't worked with it, but that image seems to show hardwire connection from the SMCWTVG to the "Internet".

If you hardwire the SMCWTVG to the CG814WG, both "upstairs", and plug a cordless phone into the SMCWTVG analop phone port, that will let you use your phone(s) for voice wirelessly (probably want to get one of the newer DECT/5GHz phone systems to avoid interference).

The only thing not good about this is that both the SMCWTVG and CG814WG would be physically close to each other, so you don't get to have a larger wireless coverage for data.

Jim

Reply to
ohaya

Hi,

P.S. Why not just call or email SMC tech support and ask them if the SMCWTVG can do what you're looking for, and, if so, how?

Jim

Reply to
ohaya

ComCastInStone? I don't like having statically assigned IP's in the middle of a dynamically assigned address space, but it can be made to work. The trick is to use a static IP that the Netgear is unlikely to assign. Unfortunately 192.168.0.2 for the SMC is too easy a target. I suggest you set the IP for something at the high end of the range, such as 192.168.0.200. The DHCP server is suppose to ping an address before offering it, but that doesn't seem to be a universal feature or fails if the wireless link is asleep, comatose, or suffering packet loss.

This is not looking very good. Having two DHCP servers operating in the same IP space has some potential problems. If you can't disarm the SMC DHCP server, it might be possible to have it point to

192.168.0.1 as the default gateway and DNS server. That way, IP addresses assigned by either device will work.

Why the [deleted expletive] SMC decided that you don't need to configure the device in client mode is beyond my limited imagination. It's also not the first time they've done that. The SMC 2655w and some other ancient 802.11b model AP (that I can't recall) does the same thing. You have to setup everything in AP mode, and then switch to client mode. Once in client mode, the only way to get back to the settings was to punch the reset button and reload everything. I guess this ordeal process is somehow an improvement.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Done

Netgear wouldn't let me change gateway IP or IP range.

Set SMC static IP to 192.168.0.100.

Could not be turned off in Wireless Client mode.

I was able to get to config web page to switch from Gateway mode to Wireless Client mode using static IP for LAN connection.

With DHCP turned on, I got a LAN IP of 169.x.x.x. SMC gateway was

192.168.0.100 as assigned in SMC config web page. Of course, my wireless laptop connection was turned off throughout.

Could I get where I want using the Gateway mode and turning off the firewall, NAT and DHCP? The DHCP appears to be always turned on in Wireless Client mode.

To access a wireless network in Wireless Client mode, connect your PC to the LAN port and then set your PC?s network connection to DHCP. In Wireless Client mode, the Personal Mobile Gateway acts as a DHCP server to assign IP address settings to one client connected on the LAN port.

Again, I want to thank everyone for their highly valued assistance. Even if I don't get this thing going I can say with assurance that I've learned a lot more about routers than I ever knew before.

Reply to
M.L.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.