Netgear draft-n router has to be rebooted everyday to work

Hey everybody,

I bought the Netgear WNR854T some time ago and it seems like it can't stay stable for more than a day. WAN and WLAN work perfectly, and then suddenly, once a day, every kind of connection is lost. That means: no connection to my home network, no connection to the internet, and no connection to the router. It happens for all the computers/notebooks on my network (wired or wireless). However, all the leds of my router blink like everything's ok.

I installed the latest version of the firmware: Version 1.4.09, which didn't solve the problem. I got a dynamic IP, and my router is connected to a cable modem, which basically requires no special configuration on the router, according to my ISP.

The only workaround I found is to cold reboot the router, everyday, to get the connection working again. This is not tolerable.

Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Pumpkin
Loading thread data ...

What determines the lease time ? can you alter the timing ?

Reply to
atec 77

Hi, I'd check if there is any external interference like cordless phone. Try different channel(1, 6, or 11 is good choice). And I'd make sure the AC power adapter is A-OK. Try another one if you can.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Tony Hwang:

I'd check if there is any external interference like cordless phone. Try different channel(1, 6, or 11 is good >choice). And I'd make sure the AC power adapter is A-OK. Try another one if you can

Yes there is one cordless phone in the room, and I will try to change the channel (it is set on "auto" at the moment), but I doubt that it's the cause of the problem as it's hardly ever used (only once or twice a week). I'm using Netgear's power supply that was delivered with the router, but I'll check if I can find another one. What's an A-OK power supply by the way?

Reply to
Pumpkin

atec 77:

There's a page on the router manager that lets me check the connection status, it also describes when the DHCP lease was obtained and expires. Here's what it shows:

Lease Obtained 0 days,1 hrs,30 minutes Lease Expires 0 seconds

And it doesn't seem to change when time goes by. When I try to manually renew or release the DHCP lease, no connection status items actually change. I don't know exactly what determines the lease time, as I am not familiar with the lease concept. However, after rebooting the router, the lease status changed. "Lease expires" seemed to count down the minutes.

Lease Obtained 0 days,1 hrs,29 minutes Lease Expires 0 days,1 hrs,19 minutes

And this time, I could release the DHCP lease; every connection status item was reset (everything showed a zero). Renewing the DHCP lease reset the lease timers to 1hr30minutes. I hope this helps solving the problem. Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Pumpkin

I believe that leasing is your problem , I don't have an answer but wish you luck .

Reply to
atec 77

Its unclear which lease time you mean.

Your router is getting an IP from your ISP and the lease time for this address is irrelevant - its also defined by your ISP so you can't change it.

Your clients are getting an IP from your router, and this lease time is defined by your router config. However its also irrelevant as the clients will automatically renew the lease when it expires.

I think you may need to re-describe the problem.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.