can't get internet behind router with static ip

Hi, I've set my PC's IP to 192.168.0.10 with subnet mask 255.255.255.0 I've set the gatway ip to the gateway ip of my router.

And yet, I can't get acces to internet or even to router anymore. what am i doing wrong ?

Reply to
samuelberthelot
Loading thread data ...

Since you can't get access to even the router, that suggests that your IP addressing is wrong. You didn't mention the IP address of the router so I can't help you further!

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Why set your PC's IP manually, at all. Almost every time this happens it's because the user configured an IP and figures that's all that's necessary.

Did you set the DNS name? Did you set the gateway?

Turn on DHCP in the router. There's almost no value to using static IP's on your network. Even those people who claim they absolutely must use some specific value, will find it easier to let the DHCP server give out a specific IP address to each MAC address.

Reply to
Derek Broughton

router ip address is 172.201.204.167 its gateway ip address is 81.145.240.243 which one of those should i use as default gateway in my TCP/IP settings ?

Reply to
samuelberthelot

no, i need static ip in order to map ports on the router for using specific software that use specific ports. So i have assigned an ip to those port in my router config tool.

Did you set the DNS name? no

Did you set the gateway? yes, but as i asked : should it be the router ip or the gateway ip ?

Reply to
samuelberthelot

ok, i figured it out. i was entering the wrong gateway ip. I had used the gateway ip specified in my router config tool, whereas I should have just used the ip of my router (192.168.0.1) as a gateway everything's sorted out thanx

Reply to
samuelberthelot

It doesn't matter, neither will work because your IP address that you have configured for your PC is not on the same network as your router!

What are you doing with 172.201.204.167??

Why that? Why not use DHCP and accept the router defaults?

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Does the router allow a DHCP reservation?

Yes but the address on your PC needs to be on the same network as the router, otherwise you'd need a router to reach your router!

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

So the 172 address wasn't the address of the router then.

Reply to
David Taylor

No, you do _not_ need a "static" IP. You need an IP that won't change. It's not quite the same. You can ensure that those specific IPs are used using DHCP, and then everything will be set correctly.

And, as you were told, you set it wrong. If you just set your computer to GET a dynamic IP and wrote down the values you got, you'd be a lot further ahead. But it's still a heck of a lot of trouble for no purpose.

Reply to
Derek Broughton

True, but not all routers allow you to fix the lease time at infinity, nor to lock MACs to IPs. My USR does, my SMC doesn't. Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

It's called "Static DHCP". That's where the DHCP lease file is retained between reboots or power cycles. The DHCP server reserves specified IP addresses for specific MAC addresses and never assigns those IP's to other MAC addresses. The lease time is infinte. This is what I would use if it were available. No need for assigning static IP's to the client. As you indicated, some routers have it, some don't.

A big advantage of using static DHCP is that the client can then be used at other DHCP assigned hot spots without switching between static and DHCP setups.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

No its not. Or at least only by people who also say "ISBN number" and "VAT Tax"... :-)

Yes, thats what I was referring to. Hence the words "fix the lease time at infinity".... Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Ye spliteth hairs. "Static - Dynamic" does sound like an oxymoron.

Actually, it's called "DHCP Static Mapping" by Cisco. |

formatting link
What's wrong with "ISBN number" and "VAT Tax", besides the redundant last letter of the acronym?

Incidentally, according to Cisco, it's not NAT. It's PAT (port address translation). However, everybody uses the term NAT.

Wanna try untangling the various mutations of the term "wireless bridge"? I did and quite just before I would have started screaming.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

It can be NAT alone (one-to-one mapping), or NAT-PAT (one-to-many mapping), but not PAT alone, depending on how many external addresses are available and how a router is configured.

Reply to
John Navas
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

Actually it is, a static assignment of address(es) in the DHCP server based on client ID (e.g., MAC address), a very common use of DHCP. You shouldn't be so quick to correct someone with Jeff's level of expertise.

Fixing the lease time at infinity *won't* necessarily guarantee an unchanging assignment, and has the drawback of making it difficult to reconfigure the network. Thus it normally should be avoided when the server has static assignment capability.

Reply to
John Navas

However, if he absolutely needs his computer to have a specific IP, and his router can't do that, I'd argue he's using the wrong router.

Reply to
Derek Broughton

i can see my post raised a few opinions :) still, i don't see any difference in using what you called 'static DHCP' and setting my IP myself... Anyway I need to have the same IP always otherwise I can't do port mapping obviously. Seems to work fine with setting up my IP myself. We are only two people on the network anyway.... can't be much harm....

Reply to
samuelberthelot

snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com hath wroth:

Easy. If you set your wireless client to DHCP, you can go from wireless network to different wireless network and be able to connect as long as there is a DHCP server. Each network will probably assign a different IP address, gateway, etc. This is the way DHCP is suppose to work.

However, if you assign a static IP address to you wireless client, you will need to reconfigure your wireless client every time you switch between your network, and the rest of the DHCP assigned world. There are programs to make this easy:

formatting link
it's best avoided if possible.

By using "static DHCP" (or whatever it's called), you pre-assign an IP address for your wireless client computer. Your DHCP server always assigns your wireless computer the same IP address. Then, you can redirect incoming ports to that IP address and not worry about the address changing when you reboot, or power cycle the router. Methinks this is much better than assigning a static IP.

It will work fine until you try connecting to another network.

Incidentally, it would be quite helpful if you would kindly disclose your maker and model number of your router, and possibly your wireless client computer, so that we can cease the guesswork. Not every client has "static DHCP" (or whatever it's called).

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

The difference is that errors are much less likely when all clients use DHCP than when configuration is done manually. Since you're having problems, it makes sense to use (or at least try) the least error-prone method.

A possible alternative (the one I use) is UPnP.

Is it working fine or are you having problems?

All it takes is one mistake in the manual settings.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.