One pc connects with passphrase, another doesn't

Hi all. This is a problem that has been plaguing me for some time.

I've got one pc connected to our WEP protected wireless network. It has a Linksys NIC and connects just fine. When I try to connect with the built in 802.11g network adapter in either of the 2 laptops we have I get the prompt to enter the passphrase. When I enter the exact same code as the Linksys PC I get a message that the passphrase is not correct. So I turned off the WEP protection and the laptops connect just fine. Turn it back on and the passphrase doesn't work again on the laptops but still works fine on the Linksys. I must have a setting wrong somewhere. Any ideas where?

Thanks, in advance. JB

Reply to
JohnB
Loading thread data ...

JohnB hath wroth:

Yes. Use the Hex version of the WEP key instead of the ASCII version. There are 3 different ways different manufacturers convert from ASCII to Hex, so compatibility is problematic. Hex always works.

Incidentally, if you unspecified wireless hardware supports WPA-PSK, I suggest you switch to WPA because WEP can now be cracked in 3-10 seconds.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cool. I'll give it a try.

Yeah, I knew that. Unfortunately, the one pc that has the Linksys NIC is running win2k and won't support WPA. I'm going to return the NIC to Walmart and hardwire that pc to the router to solve that problem. Thanks again.

JB

Reply to
JohnB

Tried it. Worked just like you said it would. Thanks, you've cured a big headache of mine!

JB

Reply to
JohnB

JohnB hath wroth:

There are a few WPA supplicants for Windoze 2000 available. See the FAQ at:

I suggest the one from McAfee.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.