Everything works EXCEPT Internet Explorer

Hi

This has me totally perplexed. I have a small home network with a central Belkin wireless ADSL router, and 2 computers connecting via Belkin USB wireless network adapters. Everything works fine except that on one computer Internet Explorer doesn't work over the wireless network. I use Firefox so this isn't really a problem, but on occasion I have to use IE for websites not Firefox friendly so am keen to try and sort this out. Everything else works, the computer with the problem connects to the network, email, Firefox, MSN all work, it's just IE that is the problem. If I connect a modem to the computer or use a network cable then IE works fine so it's definitely wireless related.

The computer with the problem is a quite old Pentium 3 running WinXP Home. So far I have tried the following:

• Different wireless network adapters
  • Disabled and reset Windows firewall
  • Updated IE6 to IE7
  • Numerous attempts at trying/changing network settings on both the computer and router
  • Tried both the Windows zero config and Belkin utilities
  • Run IEFix from
    formatting link
    I can get IE to look at local files on the computer, i.e. c:\, but nothing else works, if I try to load a webpage it just sits doing nothing, not even an error message. Any ideas? Thanks if anyone can help David
Reply to
Acro_d
Loading thread data ...

"Acro_d" hath wroth:

Fire up IE6 or IE7. Hit the "File" pulldown menu thing. Near the bottom is "Work Offline". If it's checked, uncheck it.

Another problem is having a proxy server set. Fire up IE6 or IE7. Tools -> Internet Options -> Connections -> LAN settings Uncheck everything and clear out any proxy servers.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On Wed, 8 Nov 2006 19:10:36 -0000, "Acro_d" wrote in :

The usual problem is proxy settings. Turn off proxy.

Reply to
John Navas

Thanks for the quick reply. There aren't any proxy settings as far as I can tell. If I go to Internet options>connections>'LAN settings' there are no ticks in any of the 3 boxes.

Reply to
Acro_d

Thanks for the reply. I've tried cycling through offline/online but it makes no difference.

Reply to
Acro_d

On Wed, 8 Nov 2006 19:58:23 -0000, "Acro_d" wrote in :

Does it work with a raw IP address? Try http://66.102.7.147/

Reply to
John Navas

No. It won't even connect to the wireless router which has address

Reply to
Acro_d

This will take a while, but try the following.

Click Start > Run Type "sfc /scannow" Wait for it to complete (a long time) Reboot See if it works.

Also, if you open your C drive and then type a web address instead of the file directory in the location bar, will it work?

Chris

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Christopher M. Hutchison, CEO NetSteady Communications, Ltd.

Phone: 614-255-5575 Mobile: 614-853-0091 Skype: wifi_chris

formatting link

Reply to
NetSteady

Running SFC is one thing I haven't been able to try, it keeps asking me for my Service pack 2 CD which I don't have. It doesn't tell me which files it needs to copy so maybe this is the problem. Does anyone know if I can download the Service pack 2 CD from somewhere so I can try this tonight?

In IE6 typing c:\\ would open the drive in the same window. I've just tried this in IE7 (which I only installed last night to try and solve this problem) and it opens the drive in a new Windows Explorer window, which doesn't help...

Reply to
Acro_d

On Wed, 8 Nov 2006 20:45:39 -0000, "Acro_d" wrote in :

Next time don't withhold info like this. [sigh]

That wouldn't be legal.

Reply to
John Navas

Sorry, I did try to list everything I had tried. Ok, I now realise I need to hunt down a legal copy of a service pack 2 CD. Thanks for the help, I'm grateful for being guided towards a plan of action rather than going around in circles like I was before I posted :-)

Reply to
Acro_d

SP2 is available from MS here;

formatting link

Reply to
Pen

John and others eliminated the DNS possibility. The only thing I can suggest that's left is the you have a corrupted LSP (layered service provider). The LSP is usually trashed after an anti-spyware program partially removes yet another IE tool bar.

It's a long shot and doesn't exactly fit the symptoms because a corrupted LSP usually prevents all access to the internet from any program. Since you have other programs that work, it's probably not the problem. Still, I would check the LSP to be sure. I've had good luck with:

formatting link
BEFORE you attack, I suggest you create a system restore point *AND* backup just the registry. For registry backups, I use ERUNT:
formatting link
will give you a 2nd chance in case something goes wrong.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff Liebermann hath wroth:

One more possibility. Do you have a personal software firewall running such as Norton Firewall, McAfee Firewall, Nvidia Firewall, ZoneAlarm, Trend Micro Firewall, etc? If so, try temporarily disabling the firewall and see if IE now works. If that fixes it, you have somehow disallowed access to the internet for IE in the firewall configuration.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 02:01:10 GMT, Jeff Liebermann wrote in :

Nothing wrong with backing up the Registry, but there can be lots wrong with restoring it unless only minor changes have been made since a very recent backup, because otherwise the Registry can easily be put out of sync with the system configuration, leading to a variety of frustrating problems -- restoring the Registry is a bit like doing brain surgery with a chain saw. I personally think System Restore makes much more sense in almost all cases.

Reply to
John Navas

I agree complete. However, I don't think I suggested restoring some ancient saved registry from before the daily deluge of updates and fixes were installed. I usually make a manual registry backup before doing any tweaking or trying the latest "registry optimizer". If it screws up, I either undo the damage, or just restore the previous saved registry. If I installed some application or driver, using System Restore is safer. However, even System Restore screws up, especially with Microsoft updates that cannot be uninstalled (or reinstalled).

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 00:57:12 GMT, Jeff Liebermann wrote in :

Yep, which is why I do much of my testing with Virtual PC (and often curse myself when I forget to use it:), or with a full backup done with Acronis True Image.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.