Broadcom Wireless adapter freezes randomly

On 2 Apr 2007 15:16:25 -0700, "kimiraikkonen" wrote in :

Thanks.

You actually have in the client, perhaps by accident -- as per IPCONFIG: Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

It actually _is_ disabled in the wireless client. Why are you manually assigning the IP address in the client?

Sorry, but I can't parse that.

I suggest you stop fighting with your wireless router. Start over at manufacturer defaults; set your wireless client(s) for DHCP; and let the router do the work.

Reply to
John Navas
Loading thread data ...

On 2 Apr 2007 16:02:19 -0700, "kimiraikkonen" wrote in :

I'm not surprised. I asked you for the router status screens.

Reply to
John Navas

So, what is your sugesstion for solution further? I have no problems about DHCP or assigning IP to the client. As you requested, i tried plugging CAT5 cable when wireless freeze happens, tried channel 1,6,11 with no luck, posted ipconfig /all results with screenshots when freeze happens or when it's normal.

As i prevously mentioned, wireless clients list does not list my wi-fi adapter when this freeze happens, when wireless connection is stable, wireless client list of router shows my adapter normally. Interestingly, Windows does NOT say i'm disconnected as all of statistics seems normal although my connection freezes and data tranfer stops bi-directionally.

Screenshot of what i'm talking about:

formatting link
Is there a router fault or wireless adapter signal problem? I never get signal level below than ''good'' and the notebook is 1.5 metres away from my router in the house.

So what is your conclusion or suggestion further?

Thanks with my regards...

Reply to
kimiraikkonen

On 3 Apr 2007 02:08:04 -0700, "kimiraikkonen" wrote in :

Please provide the information I've asked for, and answer the questions I've asked.

Reply to
John Navas

Please clarify what do you want exactly? You asked for ipconfig /all in both cases, i sent. DHCP is OK. What were the questions you've asked?

Sorry if there is misunderstanding.

Reply to
kimiraikkonen

On 3 Apr 2007 10:33:43 -0700, "kimiraikkonen" wrote in :

I think that will be clear if you re-read my posts more carefully. For example:

When the connection "freezes", can you connect to the wireless router over a wired connection? If so, what does it show for wireless status? What does it show for Internet status?

And I still don't know why you've configured the wireless adapter manually.

Reply to
John Navas

quoted text -

Hello, I said ''yes'' in my previous message. Yes, i can connect the net and router successfully over a wired connection when this freeze happens. Although wireless freezes, wireless connection seems connected in ''network connections'' of Windows XP. But when i go to wireless clint list of my router, i'm not listed there when the freeze happens. I now think i might have a signal strength problem but it's joking as i am only 3 meters away from my router only. And i'm nervous and laughing to Acer because they presents ''signal-up'' technology inside my router labeled on the notebook. (that was offtopic comment about Acer)

Today i experienced the freeze again. I tried using Broadcom's wireless utility which is better than WZC of Windows, did not help for the freeze (but have more features than WZC)

I took some screenshots when the freeze happened. Look at the screenshots but please don't have an exact conclusion from those ones. Because although signal and noise levels were like these ones's, i was connecting and transferring data stable (hundreds of megabytes with no problem) before. Also i want to notice, these freezes are random. Very random. Somedays i connect the wireless more than 2-3 hours and transfer hundres of MBs without problem, somedays i experience freeze immediately or shortly. I usually connect 54mbps to the router.

Here they are:

formatting link

Also i want to thank you for following my nighmare-content topic about wi-fi, and i hope another messages help also. I beleive i tried everything and there no such things left to try. Changing channels did not help.

Regards...

Reply to
kimiraikkonen

On 4 Apr 2007 10:34:57 -0700, "kimiraikkonen" wrote in :

Why have you still not answered my questions?

Your screen shots suggest interference, as I suggested way back at the beginning.

Reply to
John Navas

You asked and i answere for twice. Yes i can surf the net via wired connection when wireless freeze happens. What do you want to know else? Additionaly, i probably have signal weakness although it seems ''good'' but maybe instant signal weakness causes disconnections.

What are your requests?

Thanks.

Reply to
kimiraikkonen

Hi again, I think i might determined the problem. It's all about signalling quality or direction. Although signal strengths is reported ''good'' or ''very good'' , i tested any blockages or brackets or spreading radio signals which are not linear can drop my wireless connection?

Does it make sense? I asked some people and said it's possible.

Thank you...

Reply to
kimiraikkonen

On 7 Apr 2007 05:43:39 -0700, "kimiraikkonen" wrote in :

Those labels aren't terribly meaningful -- I've seen devices that report "very" or even "excellent" with so much interference that the connection cannot be maintained. You need to look at real signal strength and noise numbers.

As you wrote it, no.

Signal and interference problems are indeed possible, AS I SUGGESTED WAY BACK AT THE BEGINNING. (Sorry for shouting, but you're making this way harder than it needs to be.)

Reply to
John Navas

Why doesn't make it sense? I asked some people and this could be possible. Signal quality and strength are not the same. Although signal strength ''very good'' or ''good'', wireless may drop. But when it is ''excellent'' wireless is stable. So it makes sense.

Additionaly, i closed 2 doors covering wall between adapter and router, wi-fi drop solved. Signal interference is not the reason, i tried with many channels as suggested.

Buying a 5dbi antenna improves signalling quality/noise reduction?

I have a standard 2dbi antenna.

Thank you.

Reply to
kimiraikkonen

On 7 Apr 2007 10:22:52 -0700, "kimiraikkonen" wrote in :

Because what you wrote (e.g., "brackets", "spreading") literally doesn't make sense.

What could? Brackets? What kind of brackets? Plastic or metal?

Actually it doesn't. There can be problems even with "excellent" signal strength. The usual issue, again, is radio frequency INTERFERENCE.

"Covering"? How do they do that? You mean doors _in_ those walls?

Makes no sense. You've got some other issue.

In fact you may have reduced interference by closing those doors. Can't really say because you've provided so little information and paraphrased so much I can't understand what you are trying to say, much less what's actually happening.

Depends:

• A higher-gain _omni_ antenna may well amplify noise as much as signal.
  • A higher-gain _directional_ antenna is more likely to _reduce_ noise while increasing signal, thus increasing the all important signal-to-noise ratio.

If you're lucky -- many aren't even that good.

Reply to
John Navas

OK, there are 2 wood doors and a wall between router and adapter. After closing those doors, only the wall remains and connection becomes at ''excellent'' or ''very good'' level with no freeze.

But if i block or open doors near router, an instant signal decreasement can drop wireless as i determined.

I mean doors made by wood, there are some glasses inside frames.

I agree with you. The signal strength is not reliable.

Closing door helped but i'm not sure because the testing is not over.

What do you mean by saying ''other issue''?

There are no such info i can give, because it is a home planning of devices positions.

I am asking for swivel antenna, can be found here which i'm thinking to buy with no hope for indoor use with walls and doors:

formatting link
>I have a standard 2dbi antenna.

Yes, 2dbi is not so good but if there are no blockages like doors and walls, it's enough as you know generally.

Best regards, too.

quoted text -

Reply to
kimiraikkonen

doors:

formatting link

quoted text -

Hi John, I still have strange freezes about wireless. But the only thing i found out is: Wi-fi speed decreases to 24mbps or 18mbps when freeze happens. With the minutes working on 54mbps speed, it's stable.

So can we call it's about signalling? I had this freeze now even doors are closed which were covering around router, and i reduced blockages between router and adapter.

Also higher SNR is better?

Thank you.

Reply to
kimiraikkonen

On 19 Apr 2007 01:17:38 -0700, kimiraikkonen wrote in :

Sounds like radio frequency interference. See possible sources in wikis below.

Correct.

Reply to
John Navas

I checked all Wikis out. But which type of interference can occurs although i'm on different channel than the others'? (looked at site monitor for channel usage around me)

Reply to
kimiraikkonen

On 24 Apr 2007 14:42:39 -0700, kimiraikkonen wrote in :

Many (most?) types of radio frequency interference aren't limited to a given channel. For example, many cordless phones hop all over the band, trashing all channels.

Reply to
John Navas

Hi Mr. Navas, I want to update: Today, although speed was 54mbps and signal strength was "excellent" and SNR is very good (-45dbi signal, -90dbi noise), wi- fi froze again and there wasn't any networks on my channel other than me visually. Also i may have this issue when internet is "idle" (minutes which are not in use but connected)

So, what is your conclusion?

Regards...

Reply to
kimiraikkonen

On 29 Apr 2007 14:24:07 -0700, kimiraikkonen wrote in :

That you've given us no real idea what "froze" means.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.