Broadcom Wireless adapter freezes randomly

Hi, Mr Navas, If you read some previous messages of me,i've explained numerous times about "freeze", i call it "freeze" or you can call it different. I'm repeating the problem:

-For some reasons-, while i'm on wi-fi connection, sometimes, the wireless data transfer stops, even i cannot reach to my router, but wi- fi connection icon says "i'm still connected", but i'm dropped from wi- fi AP router. Wireless data connection stops, it dies, the taskbar wi-fi icon stops flashing as a result of freeze or i can call this problem ''unresponsive or non-reaction wireless connection'' although it still seems connected. (Duration counter of wi-fi icon continues) . NOTE: I'm not mentioning about computer freeze, no Windows freeze. Or no virus(checked)

But when i have this freeze or you can call "drop", i can connect the net over wired connections without touching the modem or computer. Then after wi-fi freeze or drop is experienced, i looked at wi-fi client list of my router, i saw my adapter is not listed in there anylonger!. That means my wi-fi connection has dropped although taskbar icon or other wi-fi programs says i'm still connected.

I tried 1,6,11 channels with no luck. This happened when i'm on a different channel than the other neighbour's networks. That happened when i wi-fi speed was decreasing and i'm seperated from my router by a wall and 2 doors in the same house.

Then i moved computer to the same room with the router, now the signal strength is usually "excellent" but that problem happens very rarely. If you scan the messages of this topic shortly, you can remember my issue.

Additionaly, clicking "repair" button of wireless netwok connection or "disabling the re-enabling" the adapter, helps to resolve that problem.

I uploaded screenshots for in order to give you some idea about SNR or signalling or noise:

Those screenshots describe a stable and non-problematic wi-fi connection which runs very nice:

formatting link
Those screenshots are taken when w-fi "drop" or "data transfer freeze" occured:
formatting link
The last screenshot describes the report of Windows regarding my wi-fi connection although i'm dropped from wi-fi:
formatting link
I tried to explain as much as possible i could.

Thanks again.

Reply to
kimiraikkonen
Loading thread data ...

On 2 May 2007 02:39:52 -0700, kimiraikkonen wrote in :

I read those messages, and I really don't want to go back and read them again. What I need to know now is the >> precise symptoms i call it "freeze" or you can call it different.

Insisting on using your own term without precise symptoms only serves to create confusion making it hard to help you.

Instead of repeating your problem, please just give us the precise symptoms. The best way to solve a problem is to take it step by step -- the scattergun approach is much slower.

When this happens:

1. Open a command window and run "IPCONFIG /ALL". Post the _exact_ output here.

1. Cable your computer to the wireless router. See if you can access the router status screen that way.

Things to try:

1. Turn off all wireless security. See if the problem persists.

1. Uninstall and then reinstall the wireless adapter. Check the manf website and make sure you are using the latest driver.

2. Try a different wireless adapter. See if it exhibits the same problem.

All that other information isn't really helpful.

Reply to
John Navas

Hi. Try resetting your router and starting over, leaving DHCP on. Set your wireless adapter to get addresses and DNS automatically. Set your DNS in the reouter setup page instead of the client?

Run it with WPA off for a while. See if it works. Turn WPA back on and see if it works.

Steve

Reply to
seaweedsteve

Is working with WPA-PSK( a 22 digit-key) a problem for wireless?

Reply to
kimiraikkonen

On 5 May 2007 09:50:27 -0700, kimiraikkonen wrote in :

It shouldn't be.

Reply to
John Navas

I want to update the latest situation: First, i want to name the problem: It's a wi-fi "drop" occurs between adapter and router occasionaly.

After working well couple of days, wi-fi drops although it seemed "connected" in XP's system tray with no notification of disconnection but i can realize "drop" by looking router's client list.

But the question is: Why does drop occur although router's/adapter's positions and distance are the "same" when like operating in a stable enviroment?

I can operate stable for a long time/days/weeks, but one day; wi-fi drops though there's no placement or setting change for router and adapter also.

So, can we say: The drop is caused by "external" factors like signal interferes and noises?

Reply to
kimiraikkonen

On 24 May 2007 04:11:20 -0700, kimiraikkonen wrote in :

Possible interference. Possible problem with DHCP lease renewal.

Possibly.

Reply to
John Navas

quoted text -

Hi Mr. Navas and thanks for the reply, I have to know this also: What are the stability thresholds of Wi-fi's "signal levels" and "noise levels"?

For example, when signal is worse than -60 or -65dbi, i get drops, when it goes around between -40 and -50dbi it's much more stable with no drops.

Is there a tested or accepted threshold value for signal and noise level to have a maintained Wi-fi operation?

Reply to
kimiraikkonen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.