wireless USB adapter?

I bought a Netgear router and had problems installing it,I could not get an internet connection through the router but I am ready to give up trying to make it work. I have been through the install 5 times and still have issues. I think I am going to take it back and get an adapter instead. what I am attempting is to do is connect my Nintendo Wii to the internet.my question is,can an adapter allow my Wii to use the internet connection of the desktop through the adapter or does an adapter only allow the computer it is connected to to join a network?

Reply to
TNKev
Loading thread data ...

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 14:04:55 -0500, "TNKev" wrote in :

An adapter can either connect to a host wireless access point (infrastructure mode, recommended) or to another adapter (ad hoc mode, not recommended).

You can use a computer as a gateway by means of Internet Connection Sharing and two (2) network connections, one for the Internet, and one for the Wii.

See wikis below for lots more info.

Reply to
John Navas

using your links I found basically what I would like to create.

formatting link
a WAP for my home. will an adapter provide this functionality for me?

Reply to
TNKev

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 16:40:50 -0500, "TNKev" wrote in :

A WAP is a *host*, and adapter is a *client*, so no, it won't do what you want. You were on the right track with a wireless router (host), but you'll also need a wireless Ethernet (client) bridge for the Wii.

Reply to
John Navas

thank you *very* much.

thank you again,you have answered my question. I think my router I bought is broken. I think the best route is to trade it in for another and try again.

once I have the gateway connecting the Wii will be a breeze.

Reply to
TNKev

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.