Broadcasting signal from Wireless router?? Part 2

Is it possible to pick up a signal with say a wireless adapter in my laptop, then plug a network cable into my laptop and run it to a second wireless router and feed other computers off of this router. In other words set up a repeater in this way.

Network-----Wireless router - - - - - - - Laptop/with wireless adaptor---------Wireless router -------other computers

My second question is, does anyone have any links on how to set up a wireless router in this kind of an existing wired environment. We have about 70 Computers, one domain, DNS/DHCP, firewall, switches and routers.

The one thing I have learned on reading is to turn the DHCP off. My company uses ip's 10.etc. Should I change the range of Ip's in the router to mach these or just leave it alone.

Thanks Regards

Reply to
steve
Loading thread data ...

"steve" wrote

To both questions, ask the network administrator.

OH!!!! That is you. Have you ever heard of "Internet connection sharing"

formatting link

Reply to
Stop Humpin' My Leg Dawg!!

Does it make you feel powerful to be rude to people and put them down on the internet. Yes that takes a real man. Although with a name like yours I guess I should not expect much.

I'm not the administrator. Unfortunately your jumping to conclusions was wrong. I am a person in my organization who has been asked by the administrator to set something up and who has given me little guidance. I thought I would try to do it by myself. In my attempt to get ahead in life, I'm trying to learn something so that I can show my initiative with the administrator and achieving the job with little advice and hand holding.

People who have any additional comments please feel free to give me any help. Anyone who is inadequate and who needs to feel like a man by beating on the heads of faceless people on the net may also respond if you need to bolster your testosterone.

Thank you.

Reply to
steve

"steve" hath wroth:

Yes. It is possible to do something like that. I question why you would want do create such an abomination. In effect, you've monopolized an expensive laptop to do the job of a simple wireless repeater, wireless bridge, or workgroup bridge.

May I ask what this thing is suppose to do when finished?

If the object of this exercise is to give wireless access to the "other computers", then it's can best be done with an "access point" or a "wireless router" with the router and DHCP section disabled (thus turning it into an access points). Config details on request.

By "this kind" I presume you mean how to turn a $1000 laptop into a $50 wireless access point. Sure:

formatting link
are also a variety of Linux routers that support wireless cards. For example:
formatting link
seems a waste to use a laptop for the purpose when just about any PC will also do the job.

That's only for using a wireless router as an access point.

Ambiguous question. You are apparently suggesting using a router on the LAN part of your network. That will work if the WAN side of the router has an IP address that's on your 10.etc network. However, the LAN part cannot be on the same network if you're using NAT. Need help with the IP layout? If so, kindly supply what's currently assigned and where on the LAN the company DHCP server is located.

If as you say in another posting: "I am a person in my organization who has been asked by the administrator to set something up ..." is true, then I strongly suggest you disclose what you are trying to accomplish and not ask what appears to me to be odd questions while supplying fragmentary information.

As a general rule, questions can be best answered if you supply:

1. What are you trying to accomplish?
  2. What do you have to work with? (make, model, version, firmware, operating system, IP's, numbers, etc)
  3. What have you done so far and what happened? (probably does not apply in this case).

Please pardon the lecture, but methinks you need to start over with your question.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Since you didn't bother to quote any context, I don't suppose anyone much has any clue what youre talking about. Please do not assume everyone is using Google to view usenet. Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

Or any of the many threaded newsreaders that support history? Surely only a very few people use archaic/primitive newsreaders with no threaded history? Why not just upgrade to a more capable client? I use and recommend Forte Agent. Mozilla Thunderbird is also good (and free).

Reply to
John Navas

He was being a smartass. Sadly, the anonymity and isolation of Usenet emboldens some people to do things they'd never do face to face. The best thing is to simply ignore it. He nonetheless did give you a nugget of useful information (ICS).

Advice to contact the network administrator is good, not only because of expertise that might be available, but also because you might well be compromising overall network security by setting wireless on your own.

That will only serve to feed the flames. Again, best to simply ignore it.

Reply to
John Navas

Thanks Jeff.

My Administrator is fully aware of what I'm doing. Ive been given the task but I sort of think you cant do it. Part of the problem is that the administrator thinks you can. I'm just an underling. How do I tell the Network Administrator that you cant do it. (rhetorical question) Basically he wants to set up a normal router as a bridge or relay ( I think are the terms). I don't believe you can do this. I think that wireless is a "relatively" new thing and I don't think he has thought that through. I did say it wasn't possible but he seems to think it is. I'm just a hardware guy trying to get a connection in a back room that has no wired access.

I have suggested the rather cumbersome method as mentioned above, that is using a laptop and then connecting that into a small router so that I can plug other computers into it. Basically I repair computers for the company and need to download software from server etc. I think that this is the only way to do it short of buying a bridge or repeater or wiring it. up.

Thanks for you advice.

Reply to
steve

Thanks Jeff.

My Administrator is fully aware of what I'm doing. Ive been given the task but I sort of think you cant do it. Part of the problem is that the administrator thinks you can. I'm just an underling. How do I tell the Network Administrator that you cant do it. (rhetorical question) Basically he wants to set up a normal router as a bridge or relay ( I think are the terms). I don't believe you can do this. I think that wireless is a "relatively" new thing and I don't think he has thought that through. I did say it wasn't possible but he seems to think it is. I'm just a hardware guy trying to get a connection in a back room that has no wired access.

I have suggested the rather cumbersome method as mentioned above, that is using a laptop and then connecting that into a small router so that I can plug other computers into it. Basically I repair computers for the company and need to download software from server etc. I think that this is the only way to do it short of buying a bridge or repeater or wiring it. up.

Thanks for you advice.

Reply to
steve

Thanks Jeff.

Thanks for you advice.

Reply to
steve

I feel truly sorry for your company if the network administrator is that incompetent. Might as well leave the doors unlocked at night.

Reply to
John Navas

"steve" hath wroth:

Scarey thought.

You didn't answer any of my questions.

1. What are you trying to accomplish? What does this thing do when it's done? I can't offer suggestions unless you disclose the function of this contrivance.
  2. What do you have to work with? Some description of what hardware you have in place. IP layout and where's the DHCP server would be very helpful. What restrictions are there in terms of modifying or reconfiguring existing hardware?
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Im sure your right John, But as new technology comes along eg wireless it wasn't taught a just a few years ago. Sadly many industries are like this. Doctors for example, may have had no new training since they graduated from university. Accept for those few training sessions provided by drug companies in Hawaii on the golf links. Anyway this is what Im up against. Regards

Reply to
steve

Jeff,

I have a back room that has no wired access. I repair hardware for the company. I need to connect up to server to download software etc. Connect up to the internet. Its not my office just a back room for doing hardware repairs. I need a port to connect a network cable into that I will plug into network cards on the workstations Im repairing. So the port could be a router or a port on another computer that I can access these resourses on. The administrator believes I should be able to set up my wireless router to pick up another wireless router to get the connection I need. ( I dont actually think you can do this) He is hopeing that there is some setting on the router to perform this. Ive looked I dont think so.

The second question. The router I have is a Trendnet TEW452BRP Wireless router. The other router is Trendnet TEW431BRP I have given the 452 the static address of 10.1.0.31, the other (431) is 10.1.0.1.30. The DNS is 10.1.0.1 The Gateway is 10.1.0.7 I have full access to the 454 router. Thats mine to play with.

Reply to
steve

To avoid using the laptop, you need a Wireless Ethernet Bridge, or a Wireless Router or Wireless Access Point with Client Mode (essentially the same thing). Check the documentation for your Trendnet to see if it can be configured in Client Mode. Otherwise you'll need to use ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on the laptop, and connect an Ethernet port on the laptop to other computers, either directly (with a crossover cable) or by means of a cheap hub/switch.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.