Desktop Card/Antenna to catch neighborhood wireless?

hi,

i want to put a desktop computer upstairs, and see if i can piggy back onto nieghborhood wireless

so, i guess i need the "Longest Range"

is there a "best" card antenna to accomplish this? ...or what should i look for?

thanks waterboy

Reply to
waterboy
Loading thread data ...

On 6 Dec 2006 10:36:55 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@financier.com wrote in :

Hawking HWU8DD Hi-Gain USB Wireless-G Dish Adapter

Reply to
John Navas

Waterboy,

I sell the Signal Seeker

formatting link
and I've seen it shoot over 2 miles.

Chris

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Christopher M. Hutchison, CEO NetSteady Communications, Ltd.

Phone: 614-255-5575 Mobile: 614-853-0091 Skype: wifi_chris

formatting link

Reply to
NetSteady

What would you need if you want to feed the acquired signal into an access point for your own secure network?

Reply to
Bucky

On 6 Dec 2006 15:00:48 -0800, "Bucky" wrote in :

Wireless Ethernet (client) bridge with external antenna capability cabled to wireless access point with different SSID and channel; e.g., Buffalo WLI-TX4-G54HP (with WLE-DA2 antenna) and WHR-G54S.

Reply to
John Navas

On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 23:09:34 GMT, John Navas wrote in :

Depending on signal:

• Buffalo WLE-AT-DACW might be a viable alternative to WLE-DA2.
  • Buffalo WLE-HG-DYG would provide more range than WLE-DA2.
Reply to
John Navas

Not much real information about the product on that site.

Reply to
NotMe

"NotMe" hath wroth:

Search Google Groups for "Signal Seeker" or "Ed Williams".

I never could get much in the way of specs out of Ed. However, he did once leak an FCC ID of the device as FCC ID:NHPWLB1500. See below for what details I could extract.

That was about 18 months ago, so things may have changed.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Yeah, they're going through a re-design.

Chris

Reply to
NetSteady

Given this scenario, say we had made arrangements to share his connection while he was gone to work or whatever. Would this bridge/repeater or Ethernet converter allow me to capture his wireless connection and then add it to my hardwired network running along side of my DSL. In other words, can I feed both connections through my router to my networked computers?

Reply to
peterf

On Fri, 8 Dec 2006 08:23:06 -0700, "peterf" wrote in :

His? This thread is about open neighborhood wireless, not stealing service from a neighbor.

Both won't work at the same time without special hardware.

Reply to
John Navas

Stealing! In our situation, 3 of us in a sort of triangle all have wireless setups. Say we all wanted to bridge our connections and then buy a lower speed plan and then share the cost. It could cost us all a few dollars per month and the unused bandwidth would route to the house that needs it at the time. The one neighbor for example is got sold a much faster connection that he needs for e-mail and surfing. Say I wanted to give him oh, $5 per month to use part of his bandwidth during the day when he's at work. It would still be lees for me than an upgrade to my DSL, lower his cost and everything work out for the best. My question is not an ethical one but a technical one. What kind of "special" hardware are you referring to?

Reply to
peterf

On Fri, 8 Dec 2006 09:29:38 -0700, "peterf" wrote in :

Load balancing over multiple connections is relatively easy (assuming high enough wireless link speed to handle all the traffic); bonding of multiple connections isn't. Google PPP (Point-to-Point Protocol) MultiLink/RFC 1990. With load-balancing, only certain applications with multiple connections will show an increase in throughput over a single link; e.g., FTP download accelerators, peer-to-peer filesharing.

Reply to
John Navas

I put one on ebay, with tech specs:

formatting link
Chris

Reply to
NetSteady

On 8 Dec 2006 12:42:04 -0800, "NetSteady" wrote in :

No ads here please.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.