Wireless switch / access point WEP security

My cable modem feeds a D-Link DI524 wireless router, and one of its outputs is hardwired via CAT5 cable to an OUTPUT jack on a second D-Link DI524 wireless router. The IP address of the second router has been set to a value other that the default 192.168.0.1 so as to allow the two routers to be independently addressed. DHCP has been turned off on the second router. DHCP is enabled on the first router. The first router has MAC filtering enabled as a low level security precaution.

Keep in mind that the output of the first routers is feed into an RJ45 output jack on the second router so that it functions as a switch. The set up allows wireless access through the second router to any of the computers on the network as well as to the internet through the modem.

WEP (password) restrictions are turned off on the first router when its wireless link is turned off, its normal state except when wireless access is needed in its end of the house.

When I try to turn on WEP (password) restrictions on the second router, the router does not accept the passwords. Is there a way to require wireless connections through the second router to enter a pass word?

Reply to
windsurferLA
Loading thread data ...

Is your configuration like this? or something else

router 1 router2 WAN (ISP IP) LAN (192.168.1.0/24)-> WAN (192.168.1.X/24) LAN (192.168.2.0/24) Gateway (ISP GW) Gateway (192.168.1.X/24) DHCP OFF DHCP ON (Range ?????) WLAN (OFF) WLAN ON

-- Posted on news://freenews.netfront.net - Complaints to snipped-for-privacy@netfront.net --

Reply to
SK Lai

Use the Hex key and it will work. There are problems converting from ASCII to Hex. However, I suggest you give up on WEP as it's not very secure, and switch to WPA or WPA2.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Restatement of Configuration of routers linked by CAT5 cable.

ROUTER-1 D-Link DI524 Firmware Version: 1.23 Mon, 24 Jul 2006 Wireless-Disabled DHCP-enabled (Range 101-199) WAN (ISP IP) connected to Modem LAN (192.168.0.1) Router-1 output LAN (192.168.0.101) Primary Computer Hardwired LAN (192.168.0.103) Second Computer Hardwired LAN connection to router-2. LAN - spare - sometimes linked at another switch

ROUTER-2 D-Link DI524 Firmware Version: : 1.21 , Thu, 22 Sep 2005 DHCP-disconnected Wireless-Enabled WAN ( ) no connection LAN IP (192.168.0.3) Rounter-2 input from Router-1 found from Router-2 WLAN (192.168.0.102) LapTop Wireless LAN (192.168.0.104) LapTop RJ45 connection used when not wireless. LAN not used LAN not used

I do note that on the Home Wireless window, there is a provision for "open systems" and "Shared key" authentication. Perhaps shared key needs to be checked for both routers to be WEP enabled. Touter-1 and Router-2 are at opposite ends of my house, about 80 feet apart. You would think that one in the center should cover the area, but it appears that interference from numerous other routers in the area dramatically reduce working range.

Meanwhile, for unknown reason, I could not get router-1 to show up as "secured" on my wireless laptop even when WEP was engaged and router-2 was disconnected from router-1 although it was powered-up.

Obviously, I don't yet understand how to configure these devices. Suggestions are welcome.

Reply to
windsurferLA

I think I have a clue as to why I can't set the security options on the D-Link DI-524. After making my initial post, I noted that I could not set the security options on my first router as well as the "switch." After wasting a few hours, an internet search indicated that the problem may be an incompatibility with Firefox. Sure enough, setting up security on the router worked right away using Internet Explorer. I have not yet had the time to try it, but I expect it will work on the other router as well. According to the sites I visited, there are errors in the java code (what ever that is) that comes with the firmware upgrades.

Reply to
windsurferLA

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.