Newbie printer sharing question..

I have set up my wireless network and enabled printer and file sharing. My desktop is wired to the router and works fine, my laptop connects wirelessly as soon as it's booted up and works perfectly too. When I come to share my printer (so I can print from the laptop) I cannot see the network/server/desktop etc. If I try to add a network printer the wireless network does not appear in the entire directory field. How can I find my network printer? Firewalls are all switched off and printer is set to share. I feel I'm missing a fundamental step somewhere but have followed several instructions from books, the web etc. Any suggestions gratefully received, thank you for your time.

Reply to
Stagnight1
Loading thread data ...

Is there something wrong in indicating what O/S(s) are being used? What the brand of the router? What protocols are being used on the NIC(s) etc, etc?

Reply to
Mr. Arnold

On 8 Mar 2007 01:33:35 -0800, "Stagnight1" wrote in :

What is the printer? What is the printer attached to? What is the OS?

Can you see anything on the network?

What does that mean?

Did you try the UNC name?

What did you do to 'set the printer to share'?

Need more info!

Reply to
John Navas

Hi John Printer is a Lexmark - don't have the model no. to hand Printer is attached to the desktop via a usb cable Os is windows XP pro.

where do I look? how do I look at the network? I can see it's properties ie it's set up for printer/file sharing, it's speed, it's status etc.

control panel, printers and faxes, add printer, find printer in directory. I was (wrongly I guess) assuming the network printer would appear in here. What did you do to 'set the printer to share'? right click printer, sharing, share this printer. thanks again for your time

Reply to
Stagnight1

Well, I had a guy I worked with that couldn't share resources between XP pro machines on his network, which was all wire, with his Linksys router. He ran for months without being able to network computers.

Yes, the XP Pro machines were using the out of the box protocols on the NIC's, so he shouldn't have had a problem but he did.

I told him to use MS NWlink IPX/SPX on the NIC's and then the machines were able to network.

formatting link
I used MS NWLink when I couldn't get the Win 2k machines wired and wireless to network. MS NWlink did the trick.

Now, you may get some people flying in with posts about oh don't use IPX/SPX something about NetBios. I don't give a rat's ass about that as long as the machines can network is the bottom line, when they flat-out couldn't or wouldn't do it before.

You can't network the machines now and you may not be able to do it with your current set-up of protocols on the NIC(s) for whatever reasons.

If that's the case, you might want to use MS NWlink and go on about your business.

Reply to
Mr. Arnold

From your description, you do not have a network printer. You have a printer attached to a desktop that you want to share over your network.

A network printer will usually have an ethernet connection (rj45) and its own IP address.

Try this... In your desktop, set your printer up to 'share'.

In your other computers, do not search for a 'network' printer...search for a local printer...you should find a window that will show your desktop/printer. select that...and follow the prompts to install the drivers.

This works...I have this same configuration on my home network.

Reply to
rieker

On 8 Mar 2007 06:52:13 -0800, "Stagnight1" wrote in :

See the wikis below for Microsoft documents on setting up and troubleshooting networking.

What matters is what other computers can see.

Reply to
John Navas

On Thu, 08 Mar 2007 15:53:56 GMT, "Mr. Arnold" wrote in :

That would include me. Really Bad Idea.

Reply to
John Navas

On Fri, 9 Mar 2007 08:20:59 -0500, "rieker" wrote in :

Instead, I'd suggest searching for the host computer, and then seeing what shared resources it has.

Reply to
John Navas

I'll disagree and leave it at that.

Reply to
Mr. Arnold

If he does all of that and it doesn't work, then what?

I have seen posts not only in this NG but several other ones with users trying to get XP machines to network wired or wireless using a router that flat-out wouldn't do it, with the normal set-up of the protocols on the NIC's for an out of the box XP O/S set-up.

You can't force it to work if don't work for whatever reasons and something else a new path must be taken.

And you come up with some kind of valid proof, which the two or three that provided lip service never did as to why MS NWlink IPX/SPX is a bad idea, other than, some kind of lip service.

Reply to
Mr. Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.