Actiontec MI424WR and WG111 v3

I've got a desktop with a Netgear WG111 about 30 feet from an Actiontec MI424WR router provided by Verizon. If I go to speedtest.net from my desktop that is hardwired to the router I get the full 15 Mb I should get (FIOS). If I go to the desktop with the WG111 I get about 4 Mb. The speed of the wireless fluctuates between

11 and 36. In fact it was unusable with the channel set at 1. I have it at 11 now and this is the best performance I have seen. Should this be all I should expect? Would I do better with a PCI adapter? Another manufacturer? Just wondering if I should bother to return the WG111 or if my expectations are too high.

Thanks, Jim

Reply to
jtpr
Loading thread data ...

There are many factors that could affect the speed of your connection. The wall construction where your computer and wireless components are installed, other wireless devices that might be intefering, even other WLAN's within range. So it could be more complicated than the router and/or wireless adapter. Let's start with distance. How far apart is the wireless PC from the router?

Reply to
Comcast newsgroups

~ 30 feet. One room away down a short hallway.

Thanks, Jim

Reply to
jtpr

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.