How enable RIP adv on Actiontec MI424WR?

As the subject says, I'd like to enable RIP advertisements of the netblks the Actiontec MI424WR router owns (uses "openrouter"?). I know I know, it should be easy but it's not documented or obvious :(

Reply to
Howard Goldstein
Loading thread data ...

I wouldn't guarantee it uses RIP but there is a reference to "Dynamic Routing" on page 64 of the manual.

Reply to
Kev

On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 14:13:55 +0000, Kev wrote: : Howard Goldstein wrote: : > As the subject says, I'd like to enable RIP advertisements of the : > netblks the Actiontec MI424WR router owns (uses "openrouter"?). I : > know I know, it should be easy but it's not documented or obvious :( : > : I wouldn't guarantee it uses RIP but there is a reference to "Dynamic : Routing" on page 64 of the manual.

Your page 64 doesnt match either of mine but I think I know what you're referring to if it's "domain routing" that "routes based on dns information." WTF is that?

The ad copy mentions RFC 1058 support but I'll be damned if I can figure out how to turn route advertisement feature on. I suppose I can run gated or something somewhere else to advertise on behalf of the Actiontec but now it's personal

Reply to
Howard Goldstein

I think I was just concentrating on this "Enter a device metric in the "Device Metric" text box. The device metric is a value used by the router to determine whether one route is superior to another, considering parameters such as bandwidth and delay time."

No mention of RFC 1058 in the manual or here:-

formatting link

Reply to
Kev

On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 15:09:23 +0000, Kev wrote: : Howard Goldstein wrote: : > On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 14:13:55 +0000, Kev wrote: : > : Howard Goldstein wrote: : > : > As the subject says, I'd like to enable RIP advertisements of the : > : > netblks the Actiontec MI424WR router owns (uses "openrouter"?). I : > : > know I know, it should be easy but it's not documented or obvious :( : > : > : > : I wouldn't guarantee it uses RIP but there is a reference to "Dynamic : > : Routing" on page 64 of the manual. : > : > Your page 64 doesnt match either of mine but I think I know what : > you're referring to if it's "domain routing" that "routes based on dns : > information." WTF is that? : : I think I was just concentrating on this "Enter a device metric in the : "Device Metric" text box. The device metric is a value used by the : router to determine whether one route is superior to another, : considering parameters such as bandwidth and delay time."

This seems to drive the router's own routing table. Accessed from the shell it appears to set the metric for the bridged interfaces owned by the router.

It's actually a pretty cool router ... if it only had a familiar routed on it I'd be a happy camper instead of the bitter, frustrated old man I am with a vendetta to get route ads coming out of the thing.

: : > : > The ad copy mentions RFC 1058 support but I'll be damned if I can : > figure out how to turn route advertisement feature on. I suppose : > I can run gated or something somewhere else to advertise on behalf of : > the Actiontec but now it's personal : > : > : > : No mention of RFC 1058 in the manual or here:- :

formatting link
Indeed, not a thing there. Now I'm not sure where I saw it. Maybe under some "openrouter" docs I encountered while googling. It appears to be based on something fka the "openrouter project"

Reply to
Howard Goldstein

formatting link

It may be worth asking here:-

formatting link

Reply to
Kev

formatting link

Having had a trawl through various web sites it seems some people believe that the f/ware is based on Jungo's OpenRG. If you look at the Dynamic Routing section, page 61, then RIP certainly used to be an option.

formatting link

Reply to
Kev

On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 16:05:32 +0000, Kev wrote: : Howard Goldstein wrote: : > On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 15:09:23 +0000, Kev wrote: : > : Howard Goldstein wrote: : > : > On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 14:13:55 +0000, Kev wrote: : > : > : Howard Goldstein wrote: : > : > : > As the subject says, I'd like to enable RIP advertisements of the : > : > : > netblks the Actiontec MI424WR router owns (uses "openrouter"?). I : > : > : > know I know, it should be easy but it's not documented or obvious :( : > : > : > : > : > : I wouldn't guarantee it uses RIP but there is a reference to "Dynamic : > : > : Routing" on page 64 of the manual. : > : > : > : > Your page 64 doesnt match either of mine but I think I know what : > : > you're referring to if it's "domain routing" that "routes based on dns : > : > information." WTF is that? : > : : > : I think I was just concentrating on this "Enter a device metric in the : > : "Device Metric" text box. The device metric is a value used by the : > : router to determine whether one route is superior to another, : > : considering parameters such as bandwidth and delay time." : > : > This seems to drive the router's own routing table. Accessed from the : > shell it appears to set the metric for the bridged interfaces owned by : > the router. : > : > It's actually a pretty cool router ... if it only had a familiar routed : > on it I'd be a happy camper instead of the bitter, frustrated old man : > I am with a vendetta to get route ads coming out of the thing. : > : > : : > : > : > : > The ad copy mentions RFC 1058 support but I'll be damned if I can : > : > figure out how to turn route advertisement feature on. I suppose : > : > I can run gated or something somewhere else to advertise on behalf of : > : > the Actiontec but now it's personal : > : > : > : > : > : > : > : No mention of RFC 1058 in the manual or here:- : > :

formatting link
: > : > Indeed, not a thing there. Now I'm not sure where I saw it. Maybe : > under some "openrouter" docs I encountered while googling. It appears : > to be based on something fka the "openrouter project" : > : It may be worth asking here:- :
formatting link
Thanks for the vector, and for hanging in here with me this morning as these exchanges forced me towards good info and an iminent solution. The inciting bit was your noting the lack of RIP support in the ad material which opened up a different line of googling. This box is "openrg" based, not "openrouter", the former a commercial product in spite of its name.

The stock openrg product *does* include RIPv1 and v2 functionality via the point and drool menu but the verizon supplied version seems to have had that aspect castrated from the menu. However there were droppings left in a cryptic config file that have settings for RIP enable and versioning info and sure enough, flipping them and uploading the adulterated config back to the box has the thing emitting RIP and responding to rtquery queries.

It's not yet advertising its bridged interfaces which is what I need, but with it at least RIPping I'd say the panic is over.

In case anyone else is interested or needs to fight with this later FFR here be where docs live:

formatting link

Reply to
Howard Goldstein

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.