Linksys Router WRT54G V8 and ASUS PCI card WL-138G V2

My daughter has Cable modem which works pretty fast. She has 2 computers, 1 is hardwired to the router Linksys WRT54G V8 (very new) and the other desktop is about 15 feet away with open doors that uses the wireless PCI card WL-138G V2 (also very new).

There are no concrete walls, no metal screens, no other hardware that could interfere.

I saw her this afternoon and watched how SLOW the download of any internet page is on the wireless desktop. Sometimes dropping to 1 KB /sec., whereas the hardwired desktop is instantaneous.

She has tried another router (a Netgear) and another (same model) PCI card by ASUS with same results.

Both computers are running windows XP and are in the 2.6GHZ range with 1 GB of RAM.

Sometimes, the wireless computer says "loaded with some errors" but never says what the errors are and the web page does seem to load fine (MSN.COM) and one can go from there to hyperlinks, but again, very slow.

What can possibly be the problem?

Reply to
Ritter 197
Loading thread data ...

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 17:37:24 -0500, "Ritter 197" wrote in :

Wireless (radio) interference. See Interference section of wiki below.

Reply to
John Navas

I have a Netgear WGR614 v.7 router and ASUS WL-138G v.2 PCI card setup and I noticed I'm only getting a Link Quality=53/100. Eventually this degrade until I have to reboot the computer. I tried to switch the channel from 11 to 3, but it doesn't seem to make much difference. I live in a suburban area and there are many wireless routers around, some of them with no security. The wireless router is in the next bedroom on the same floor level and the router is up high away from any possible sources of interference. Thank you for your time and assistance!

eth1 IEEE 802.11b/g ESSID:"MJ" Nickname:"Broadcom 4318" Mode:Managed Frequency=2.462 GHz Bit Rate=11 Mb/s Tx-Power=15 dBm RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off Link Quality=53/100 Signal level=-51 dBm Noise level=-49 dBm Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:139 Rx invalid frag:0 Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

Reply to
chessucat

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 16:55:56 -0800 (PST), chessucat wrote in :

Directional antennas can help reject interference from other networks.

Reply to
John Navas

So, you are saying I should stick some copper wire on my wireless nic and stick it into a 4" coffee can?

Using the rubber duck antenna is more neater, but I guess all this RFI is not going away, 'eh?

Reply to
chessucat

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 17:26:05 -0800 (PST), chessucat wrote in :

Or use a commercial directional antenna.

Try a cheap homemade reflector with a rubber duck.

Probably not.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.