802.11 n/g setup not working?

I have a cable modem, which is connected to an Apple Airport Base Station Extreme, set to use 802.11n for my Macbook Pro.

This works perfectly.

I also have a Linksys WRT54G gateway/router with standard firmware. My plan is to have this connected to the Airport via crossover cable, and allow my friends/family to connect to it on 802.11g.

This is what I tried to do so far:

- Connect the WRT54G and Airport by cable using only the LAN ports.

- Configured the WRT54G to run as a Router, rather than Gateway.

- Disabled DHCP on the WRT54G.

The problem I'm having, is that when I try and connect via the WRT54G, I get a 169 IP. I assumed that it would forward me onto the Airport, and assign me an IP there.

Can anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong? I just want to be able to allow n&g wireless access to my Internet connection!

-E

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
pepsione
Loading thread data ...

pepsione wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@no-mx.wirelessforums.org:

just out of curiousity, why did you want to disable DHCP on the router? I thought that is needed so the router can assign IP to the devices that want to connect to it?

Reply to
Needy

Aside from that, i'm wondering why he turned WIRELESS off (Configured the WRT54G to run as a Router, rather than Gateway) and expects it to still work as if the wireless was still on.....

I have mine connected together both with different ssid's/dhcp on/connected via the lan ports, and it works great for multiple devices/connections...

Reply to
Peter Pan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.