Airport Extreme Base Station & Linksys WRT54GL

I have a few MacBook Pro's and some older MacBooks all using the Linksys at the slower speed (the Pro's).

I brought home from the office the AirPort Extreme Base Station to use the faster speed on the pro's, since the distance on the extreme is limited, I want to hook both the linksys & Extreme up so you can travel through the house and when you lose the Extreme's n speed you can get the slower linksys. Is this possible?

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
cbermudez11
Loading thread data ...

cbermudez11 hath wroth:

Probably not. To do "seamless roaming", you would need both wireless access points running the same SSID. They can also be on the same RF channel, but it will probably be better to have them on different non-overlapping channels (1, 6, 11) so that they don't interfere with each other.

The problem is that many access points hang onto a connection and never let go. You have to have the carrier literally disappear for some long period of time, before the access point will drop the connection so that you can re-connect with the other access point.

The plan is to have 802.11r:

do "fast handoff" in order to be able to move from access point to access point without dropping the connection or having to obtain a new IP address. 802.11f does some of this, but not really fast enough to maintain a VoIP call or a VPN tunnel.

The Airport Extreme Base apparently supports some manner of roaming, but I've never tried it:

In any case, it will require a 2nd Aiprort Extreme Base, and probably will NOT work with your Linksys WRT54GL.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.