Need help setting up bridge between Linksys WRT54GS and Apple AirPort Extreme

I spent way too much time experimenting and most of the documentation that I found was not helpful. I am posting this in hopes of contacting someone that can finally help me set this up.

My objective is to have all my devices accessible over my wireless network at home. I have it partially working but there are some issues. Keep reading.

On one side of the house I have:

1 Linksys WRT54GS router connected to the Internet and broadcasting a wi-fi network with WPA2 encryption 1 PC connected via Ethernet to the Linksys router 1 MacBook connected via wi-fi to the Linksys router

On the other side of the house I have:

1 Apple AirPort Express Base Station connected via wi-fi to the Linksys router mentioned above 1 HP Photosmart 2570 series printer connected via USB to the AirPort Base Station (This printer also supports Ethernet connection) 1 XBox 360 - currently not connected to any network

I am facing the following problems:

- I can print from any computer in the house but I cannot use the scanning feature of the printer. I believe this is because it is connected via USB instead of Ethernet

- My Xbox is not connected to any network

What I want to achieve:

1) Connect the printer to the network via Ethernet rather than USB 2) Connect the Xbox via Ethernet to the network

I also have one Apple AirPort Extreme 802.11n Base Station (MB053LL/A) that is currently not in use. My idea was to setup this AirPort Extreme router as a bridge to the Linksys router. Then connect the Xbox and the printer via Ethernet to the Airport Extreme. The Airport Express would not be needed anymore.

Can someone walk me through this setup process? I am open to making changes in the network, like using the Airport Extreme as the primary router and the Linksys as the bridge, although I tried it before and wasn't successful.

Thank you so much in advance.

Csongor

Reply to
PhatBaja
Loading thread data ...

I'm thinking the HP multi-function printer needs to be directly connected to a PC in order to use any function other than simple printer. Even then, I'm not sure if the non-printer functions will work across the network or if they'll be limited to the PC that's directly connected. As for the Xbox, I don't see the problem. You say you want to connect it via Ethernet; is the problem that you don't have a physical port available or is it something else?

Reply to
Char Jackson

Char, thanks for responding.

All the printer's functions work fine when the printer is connected directly to a router. I've done it before but now I the printer is currently connected via USB, as described on my first message. This limits its usage to printing only.

As for the Xbox, you're right. I don't have an Ethernet port available on that side of the house and I don't want to pull a physical cord across the house.

I would like the printer and the Xbox to be connected via Ethernet to a device connected via wi-fi to the Linksys router on the other side of the house.

Reply to
PhatBaja

If it were me, I'd use a Linksys WRT54GL (because I have a couple of extra units on hand), running dd-wrt firmware in Client Bridge mode. That would give you at least 4 Ethernet ports and basically extend your existing network. I'm not aware of any issues regarding bridging multiple devices, but others can chime in on that.

Reply to
Char Jackson

I can try that but I would really like to work with what I have first before buying more hardware.

Reply to
PhatBaja

Correct. The USB print server in the AirPort Express only handles printing, not scanning.

I can't guarantee that this will work between an Apple and a Linksys router, but I am using the following settings to bridge between two AirPort Extreme 802.11n base stations.

Connect the MacBook to the AirPort Extreme base station with an Ethernet cable, then launch AirPort Utility on the MacBook. Go to the AirPort pane of manual setup and click on the Wireless tab. Choose "Extend a wireless network" in the Wireless Mode pop-up menu, enter the Linksys' network name and password, and then click the Update button.

Reply to
Neill Massello

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.